Juodkrantė is the second largest settlement on the Curonian Spit,
18 km south of Klaipėda, by the road 167 Smiltynė – Nida. The
settlement is located in the territory of Neringa municipality.
Historical-urban reserve, linear settlement, 2 km along the lagoon.
There is the Juodkrante Evangelical Lutheran Church (built in 1885, also called the Franciscan Church of Assisi), a functioning civil cemetery. Surviving in the 19th century. end of the 20th century. villas and other buildings, coastal fishermen's homesteads, a port by the Curonian Lagoon, a yacht marina The summer meu is served by a ferry from Dreverna. There is a rest house, L. Rėza Naval Cadet School, basic school, library (since 1959), post office (LT-93017), cultural center.
People have lived here for a long time on a site of a
current town: stone, brass and early Iron Age archeological
artefacts have been found in its surroundings. Juodkrante is
mentioned in written sources as early as 1429. It was then closer to
the sea, 2.5 km north of the current settlement. 1509 Juodkrante
received a fishing privilege. 1599–1600 the old village (13
homesteads) was almost swollen with sand. 1603 he suffered greatly
from the plague, leaving only 6 inhabited homesteads here. The sand
still moved and the seaside Juodkrante was last mentioned in 1724.
Opposite Gintaras Bay was formerly the village Grikienė (or Sin Village), now located in the territory of Juodkrante.
1669 forest warden Hans Reinish received the privilege of establishing a bitter place near the road. 1682 obtained a permit and develop for fishermen. 18th c. At the end of 1878, the inhabitants of the flooded Karvaičiai village also moved to Juodkrante, moving the Karvaičiai church. burned. Old Juodkrantė (in the north), Naujieji Karvaičiai (in the south) and Juodkrantė near the church (in the middle) merged into one settlement. 1885 a brick church of Juodkrante was built.
About 1840 Juodkrante became famous as a resort and in 1858. steamers from Klaipėda and later Tilžė started sailing to it. Around that time (1855, 1860, and 1861), amber was found deepening the bottom of the lagoon. This further led to the development of the settlement. 1861–1882 Very valuable prehistoric amber artefacts were found near Juodkrante. 1860–1890 The development of the resort was promoted by the company “W. Stantien & M. Becker ”amber mining activities. 19th century - XX a. At the beginning of the 19th century, many hotels, villas, summer houses, restaurants and shops were located in Juodkrante.
1946 August 3 Juodkrante became a city-type settlement (as a summer resort) in 1947. connected to Klaipeda, and since 1961. connected to the new city of Neringa. During the Soviet era, rest houses were built, including the rest house of the Vilnius furniture factory Ąžuolynas (architect E. Guzas), the republic rest houses of agricultural builders (architect E. Jurgelionis). In the Lutheran Church in 1973. A museum of miniatures was established in 1941, where painted miniatures, jewelry, medals and stained glass windows by the artist B. Bružas were exhibited.