Kretinga is located in the Curonian countryside of Megowe, a city in western Lithuania in the immediate vicinity (11 km) of the Baltic Sea resort of Palanga and 25 km from the port city of Klaipėda. It is the core city and seat of the Rajongemeinde Kretinga.
The place was first mentioned in 1253 as Cretyn.
Etymologically, the name is associated with "kritus" (swampy). City
rights were granted in 1609.
Until the First World War, the border between Germany and the Russian Empire ran within today's urban area of Kretinga. The southern district of Bajorai (German Bajohren) belonged to the German Empire.
When the Memelland was separated from the German Reich in 1919 and Lithuania became independent at the same time, it became the border between these two newly created areas. In 1923 Lithuania annexed Memel Land and the border was obsolete.
From 1939, after the transfer of the Memelland to the German Reich as a result of the German ultimatum, the border ran again between the two places. In 1941, Kretinga was captured by German troops immediately after the start of the Russian campaign. By the autumn of 1941, more than 1,000 local Jews had been murdered by the Germans.
Museum of the City of
Kretinga (since 1992 in the former manor house of Count Tiskevicius
from 1875 with winter garden, orangery and manor park)
Franciscan monastery, built from 1605 to 1610 with the Church of the Annunciation, built from 1610 to 1617, redesigned from 1907 to 1912
Evangelical Lutheran Church, neo-Gothic brick / field stone building from 1897
Cemetery chapel with the family tomb of Count Tiskevicius, neo-Gothic brick building from 1893 based on a design by the Swedish architect Karl Eduard Strandmann (1867–1946)