Palanga

 

Palanga is a seaside resort in the South Curonian region of Megowe in Lithuania on the Baltic Sea around 20 km north of the district capital Klaipėda (German Memel) and around 300 km northwest of the Lithuanian capital Vilnius. In a northerly direction it is less than 20 km to the Latvian border. Along with the Curonian Spit, Palanga is one of the centers of Lithuanian tourism - with hotels, campsites and a long beach promenade with a pier. Palanga is a city (Lithuanian miestas) and a municipality (Lithuanian miesto savivaldybė). The municipality also includes the town of Šventoji with the port of Šventoji, which forms an administrative district of the same name.

 

Geography

Palanga is located on the Baltic Sea around 20 km north of Klaipėda. North of the city, the small river Šventoji flows into the Baltic Sea near the town of the same name. The southernmost part of Palanga is Nemirseta, until 1918 the northernmost place in German East Prussia and border town to Russian Lithuania. The northernmost part of the municipality is Būtingė, where the Būtingė Oil Terminal has been in operation since 1999.

 

History

The place came to the Teutonic Order in 1253. In the Peace of Brest in 1435 the area fell to Lithuania and Palanga became the center of a Starostei. For centuries, Palanga was the only Lithuanian access to the Baltic Sea. The port was built in today's part of the municipality of Šventoji. The Swedes won the Great Northern War in 1705 in a battle near Palanga over the Russians and took the city. As a result of the 3rd partition of Poland in 1795 Palanga came to Russia and in 1819 within the Russian Empire to the Courland Governorate. During the November uprising in Poland in 1831, the place was partially burned down. After the formation of the Baltic States in 1918, Palanga initially belonged to Latvia and fell to Lithuania on March 30, 1921 as part of a border adjustment to give it access to the Baltic Sea. The district of Nemirseta (German: Nimmersatt), located in the southern part of the city, belonged to the Prussian province of East Prussia until 1919 and was, as an independent municipality, the northernmost town in the German Empire.

In 1827 the Palanga pharmacy was built.

In 2013, Palanga was the cultural capital of Lithuania.