Šilutė

 

Šilute (lit. Šilutė, former names - Heidekrug, German Heydekrug, Lithuanian: Šilokarčema, Lithuanian: Šilo karčiama) is a city in the Šilut region of Lithuania, its center, in the west of the country northwest of Taurage. The population is 17,300 inhabitants (2012).

 

History

Founded as a fish market by Georg Tallat in 1511 on the territory of the Duchy of Prussia in the region of Lithuania Minor, a church was built in 1550. In 1923, together with Klaipeda, it passed to Lithuania and was renamed. In March 1939, after an ultimatum to Lithuania, he returned to Germany and in 1941 received the status of a city. In 1941-1944, there were two labor camps for Jews. The survivors were moved to Auschwitz in 1943. A concentration camp for prisoners of war was located near the Heidekrug. In 1945-46. years became part of the USSR, from 1990-91. - as part of an independent Lithuania.

 

Sights

It is a small town typical of East Prussia. Its German origin is indicated by its architecture: half-timbered, art nouveau, gothic and neo-gothic. Silute has all the resources to become another tourist center for Lithuania, but it takes time for the infrastructure to be raised to the proper level in this city, restoration of historical sites, and, of course, began to advertise this place in tourist brochures and guidebooks of different countries .

 

In Šilute, it is worth visiting the old post office (1905), the fire tower (1911), the court and prison (1848), the bridge over Šisha (1914), the Shoya manor (1818), also the old trading square, the port, the railway station and the bridge (1875), Vidunas gymnasium (1924).