Tytuvėnai (until 1917 the official name of Tsitovany) is a city
in the Siauliai district of Lithuania, 17 km east of Kelme.
The settlement of Tytuvėnai has been known since the 15th century. The former Bernardine monastery with the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the 17th-18th centuries. Orthodox Church of the Kazan Mother of God (1875), the rector of which was Hieromonk Hilarion Alfeyev in 1988-1990
The place was first mentioned in the 14th century, the
name derives from the river Tytuva. In the 17th century, a Saint
Bernard monastery was founded in Tytuvėnai. The architectural
ensemble is well preserved to this day, but is no longer used as a
monastery. In 1959, Tytuvėnai Agricultural Technical Center was
In Tytuvėnai, a helipad was built especially for Pope John Paul II's visit to Šiluva in 1993 and the road to Šiluva was paved.
During its membership in the Soviet Union, Tytuvėnai was a center of industrial peat extraction. Most of the moors in the area have been destroyed and have not yet been renatured, although they are integrated into the Tytuvėnai Regional Park. In recent times, tourism has been of economic importance.