Location: Niedzica, Nowy Targ County Map
Constructed: 1320- 26
May- Sept: 9am- 7pm
Oct- Apr: 9am- 5pm Tue- Sun
Entrance Fee: 10 zl
Niedzica Castle is a medieval citadel in Niedzica,
Nowy Targ County in Poland. It was constructed in 1320- 26 on a rock
cliff overlooking Czorsztyn Lake. For the first time the name
Dunajec Castle (Latin: novum castrum de Dunajecz) appeared in a
document from 1325. The castle was registered as the property of Jan
and Rykolf Berzevicze, lords in Brzozowica. They were the
grandchildren of the Spis Rudesinger of Tyrol, who, after giving
King Hungary II Andrew II in 1209, founded Niedzica. After
Berzevicze as lords of the castle in Niedzica, in 1330 Wilhelm
Drugeth, the district of Spiš, was mentioned, followed by his
brother Mikołaj. In 1425, the entire the Dunajec key was in the
hands of Piotr Schwarz of Berzevicze, who was a sub-treasury of
Zygmunt Luxemburg. The feudal "Niedzica state" (the property of the
Niedzica castle) stretched throughout the whole of Zambia Spiskie.
Initially, this castle was a Hungarian watchtower on the border with
Until 1470, the castle remained in the hands of the descendants of Rudyger, and then it became the property of the Spisz comer Emeryk Zapolya, the Spiš county, grandfather Barbara, the Polish queen, the first wife of Sigismund the Old. His brother's grandson, Jan Zápolya, count of Spis and voivode of Transylvania, became the Hungarian king in 1526. He largely owed his victory in the fight for the throne to the diplomacy of Hieronim Łaski, who in gratitude in 1528 gave the poviat of conspiracy with Kieżmark, Gelnica and the Dunajec key together with Niedzica.
For 60 years, the castle was owned by Łaski: Hieronim, and later his son Olbracht. Known from the thriving lifestyle of Olbracht Grace, the castle first pawned and sold it to Jerzy Horváth, who carefully rebuilt it, transforming it into a magnificent Renaissance residence (in large part it has survived to this day). Then the castle was leased to the Italian-Hungarian Giovanelli family. It was a very pious family who donated most of their money to religious buildings. They were not interested in the castle, so he began to fall into ruin. After the dying of the Giovanelli family, the castle passed into the hands of Andrzej Horvath. The new owner rebuilt the ballroom, which made the castle famous all over Hungary, because it arranged numerous and grand balls. In 1858 the castle was taken over by another Hungarian family - the Salamons.
After the end of World War I, the castle was on Polish territory. It remained the property of the Salamons until 1945. The last owner, Countess Ilona Betheln Salamon, left for the last time in 1943. An important fact from this period is the preservation in the castle estates until 1931 (the longest in Europe) of residual forms of serfdom. From 1948, restoration works and partial reconstruction were carried out at the castle. In some of the rooms, the creative work house of the Association of Art Historians was created, others were open to visitors, creating a museum of interior and history of the Spis region. In 1960, a seismological station of the Geophysics Department of the Polish Academy of Sciences was arranged in the tower.
One of the most mysterious pages in the history of the
castle is found, apparently just after World War II, Inca kipu - a
kind of writing information in a knot script, which contains
information about a hidden treasure.
Niedzicki Castle was the location of many films. From March 1955, filming here for the movie Revenge based on the comedy of Aleksander Fredro with 16-year-old Beata Tyszkiewicz in the role of Klara. In 1967, a Polish war movie, Crazy Night, was made in the rooms and the immediate vicinity of the castle, based on the novel by Natalia Rolleczek. In 1975, Mazep's film was made in the castle, based on the drama of Juliusz Słowacki. The castle was also a place where photos were taken, among others to the TV series Janosik and Holidays with the Ghosts. The object is also a place of action in the adventure book Aga Paszkot Ciotka, bad and Niedzickie Zamczeo. In 2011, he was also the seventh stop at The Amazing Race Australia 2.
Today, the castle has museum and hotel functions, being one of the biggest historical attractions of the southern part of the Lesser Poland Voivodeship. An "alley" leads to the castle. Behind the entrance gate and hall is the lower castle courtyard. Within this part of the castle there are guest rooms. In the museum part you can see the so-called Salamons chambers, equipped with items from the 16th - 19th centuries. Wooden stairs lead to the observation deck. Through the next gate leads the entrance to the upper castle and to the castle dungeons, which served as basements, as well as a prison (the so-called torture chamber was established here). On the edge of the upper castle courtyard there is a well carved in solid limestone rock with a depth of over 60 m. In the upper chambers of the Lord's castle, you can see: the hunting room, the salt chamber and the guard room.
On the opposite side of the Dunajec, over the lake's slope, are the ruins of the castle in Czorsztyn.
According to legend, the Incas resided in and around the castle at the end of the 18th century: descendants of Tupac Amaru II and part of the aristocracy fleeing Spanish persecution. Within the castle, the Inca fugitives were also to hide part of the treasury intended - probably - to finance the uprising against Spain.