Łowicz

 

Łowicz — a town in Poland, included in the łódź Voivodeship, Lowicki County. It has the status of a city gmina. It covers an area of 23.41 km2. The population is 30,383 (as of 2004).

 

History

Łowicz has traditionally served as the suburban estate of the Gnezno archbishop. First mentioned in the bull of Pope Innocent II, dated 1136. In the middle of the 14th century, prelate Jaroslav Skotnitsky erects a Gothic-style residence in Łowicz, destroyed during the years of the Swedish flood. Since 1433, a subdivision of the Jagiellonian University operated at the archbishop's court.

During the interregnum of 1527 Лowicz was actually the second capital of the Kingdom of Poland, where the coin was minted. During the second partition of Poland, the city went to Prussia (German Lowitsch). In 1807, Napoleon presented the secularized principality of Lowicz to his Marshal Davout.

After the establishment of the Kingdom of Poland, the principality passed into the hands of Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich and his wife Zhanetta Grudzinskaya, who received the title of Princess Lowicz. The spouses settled their estates with free peasants, it was one of the most prosperous areas of the Kingdom of Poland. The Romanovs' hunting palace was rebuilt in the neighborhood in Skierniewice. At a distance of 14 km, the Radziwill princes lived in Neborov.

At the beginning of World War II, Lowicz found himself in the heart of the Battle of Bzura and was badly destroyed. The local Jewish population was herded into the ghetto. In 1999 Pope John Paul II visited Lowicz, who granted the city cathedral the status of a minor basilica.