Monasterio de Oseira

Monasterio de Oseira



Location: Oseira

Tel. 988 28 20 04

Open: Apr- Sep 10am- noon Mon- Sat

3:30pm- 6:30pm daily

Oct- Mar: 10am- noon Mon- Sat

3:30pm- 5:30pm daily


Description of Monasterio de Oseira

The monastery of Oseira is a Trappist monastery of real foundation that throughout its history had a great economic and social importance in the region and more distant lands. It is a monastery that with 8 centuries of history is kept in perfect condition. It is located in the parish of Osera, in the municipality of San Cristóbal de Cea, province of Orense.


Its existence is known from 1137, but soon after it became a monastery dependent on the Cistercian Order and in the year 1141 a colony of French monks sent by San Bernardo was installed. In the year 1835, as a consequence of the confiscation of Mendiz√°bal, the friars left the convent, which was totally abandoned. This led to the looting of the place. The monks returned again in 1929, beginning their reconstruction.


The abbey church  of Monasterio de Oseira was built between 1200 and 1239 approximately and is considered one of the masterpieces of Cistercian architecture in the Iberian Peninsula, with a characteristic ogival Romanesque style. The chapter house of the monastery, popularly known as the "room of palm trees", dates from the late fifteenth century and is supported by four central columns of torsos shafts ending in an original vault.

In the old monastic refectory you can visit the Lapidarium or Museo da Pedra, a collection of objects and fragments of stone obtained during the restorations and archaeological excavations: tombstones, capitals, columns, decorative elements, etc.