Monasterio de Ribas de Sil

Monasterio de Ucles



Location: Ribas de Sil

Tel. 988 01 01 01

Open: daily


Desciption of Monasterio de Ribas de Sil

The monastery of San Esteban de Ribas de Sil or Monasterio de Ribas de Sil (in Galician Mosteiro of San Estevo de Ribas de Sil) is a catholic monastery complex already in disuse, located in the orensano municipality of Nogueira de Ramuín, in the region of the Ribeira Sacra in Galicia, Spain. At present it is converted into a Parador de Turismo. It is located on the left bank, the southern one, of the Sil River, in the same canyon. It belongs to the parish of San Esteban, of the municipality of Nogueira de Ramuín. Like the other monasteries that exist in the region of Ribeira Sacra and Tierra de Lemos (the right bank of Sil, already in the province of Lugo), the origin of this monastery is not known. It was found prior to the tenth century. In the 12th century it became in the main monastery of the region, becoming one of the most remarkable in Galicia. Monasterio de Ribas de Sil was occupied by the Order of San Benito.


History of Monasterio de Ribas de Sil

With an origin prior to the tenth century, the first written documentation in which the monastery is named dates from the year 921, in which King Ordoño II authorizes Abbot Franquila to carry out the reconstruction of monastic dependencies and grants him numerous possessions. Erroneously attributed its foundation to San Martin Dumiense in the sixth century.

After the canonical reform of the Catholic kings and Cardinal Cisneros was incorporated in 1499 to the congregation of San Benito de Valladolid. In 1588 it became a College of Arts, a condition that maintained its exclaustration in 1875.

At the end of the 19th century, Monasterio de Ribas de Sil became private property and in 2004 it was converted into a tourist hostel, being the hotel of the highest category in the region and part of the network of tourist resorts in Spain. The rehabilitation project was drafted by the architect Alfredo Freixedo Alemparte.

On the shield of the monastery there are nine mitres reflecting the fact (it is not known if it is a legend) that between the tenth and eleventh centuries it was the place of retreat of nine bishops, which contributed to enhance their fame.