Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

 

Arundel Castle

Arundel Castle

Arundel Castle is a medieval stronhold situated in Arundel, West Sussex of United Kingdom. Many local residents believe it is haunted. Arundel Castle was constructed in 1068 by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel.

 

 

Location: Arundel, West Sussex Map

Found: 1068 by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel

Tel. 01903 882173

Open: Apr- Oct

14thC Fitzalan Chapel, Gardens & Grounds

10am- 5pm

Restaurant

10:30am- 4:30pm

Gift Shop

10:30am- 5:00pm

Castle Keep

11am- 4:30pm

Castle Rooms

12pm- 5pm

Last admission

4pm

Closed: public holidays, Mondays

Official site

 

 

 

Description of Arundel Castle

Original layout of the military fortifications that defended Arundel Castle was motte and double bailey castle. In fact this artificial mount is the oldest part of the citadel that survives to this day. Situated in the mouth of the River Arun it served as defence against the French invasion as well as from the native Anglo- Saxon tribes that were crushed by William the Conqueror just 2 years prior to construction in the Battle of Hastings. Such loyalty was marked by the king who granted a title of Earl as well as extensive lands including one fifth of Sussex. Upon his death the Arundel Castle went in possession of a English King Henry I (1068-1135). The king soon died and his second wife Adeliza of Louvain married William d'Albini II, the first Earl of the d'Aubigny family of Saint-Martin-d'Aubigny of Normandy. As direct heirs died it was passed as dowry to the daughters in the family. So the castle was transferred d'Albinis to the Fitzalans in the 13th century and then in turn to the Howards in the 16th century. The last family was particularly remarkable. They played an important place in English history including 2nd Duke of Norfolk (1443-1524), a victor of Battle of Flodden that was fought on 9 September 1513 and resulted in defeat of the Scottish army. Lord Howard of Effingham participated in decimation of Invisible Armada in 1588, 3rd Duke of Norfolk (1473-1554) was uncle of both Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard. Both became wives of Henry VIII and both were executed by the king.

 

During the English Civil War (1642- 45) the Arundel Castle was besieged by both sides in the conflict, the Royalists as well as Parliamentarian armies under leadership of Oliver Cromwell. Much of the castle was restored and remodelled to fit the taste of the new age as well as high ranking guests that visited it including Queen Victoria with her husband Prince Albert.

 

Arundel Castle have been open to the public for almost two centuries. Along with surrounding gardens and wonderful landscapes it covers nearly 40 acres of land. However you have to be aware that no pets are allowed on the grounds of the castle except for assistance animals. Furthermore there are restrictions on photography. You have to check with the employees of the castle to found out if it is possible.

 

 

Haunting in the Arundel Castle

Arundel Castle is said to be haunted by several ghosts. One of the most commonly seen is a ghost of a young woman. Her apparition is often seen near Hiorne's Tower. It is especially common around full moon at night. Some claim she leaped from a tower after her love abandoned her. Other claim she herself is a victim of an evil plot. Another ghost that is frequent in the area is so- called Blue Man. He is supposedly first appeared about the time of the English Civil War and times of Charles II. He is commonly seen in the library of the castle, flipping through books and reading them. Another ghost that is common the servants' quarters is that of a tall man with long hair and a grey tunic. His full body apparition have been seen by several visitors. He usually makes few steps before mysteriously disappearing. Additionally they are disembodied voices, poltergeist activity where the objects are moved without anyone's visible presence, cold spots and many other strange events that are attributed to ghostly activity.