Mount Grace Priory

Mount Grace Priory


Location: North Yorkshire   Map

Constructed: 1398 by Thomas de Holand, Earl of Kent and Duke of Surrey

Dissolved: 1539

Tel. 01609 883494

Open: Apr- Sep: Thu- Mon

Oct- Mar: Thu- Sun






Description of Mount Grace Priory

Mount Grace Priory is a former Roman Catholic monastery in Yorkshire in United Kingdom. Mount Grace Priory was found in 1398 by Thomas de Holand, Earl of Kent and Duke of Surrey, half-brother of King Richard II. The monk Richard Methley, author and translator of spiritual works died in 1527 or 1528. He lived there all his life. It was dedicated in honor of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin and of Saint Nicholas. It became an important center of learning and prayer of the Carthusian Order, but in 1539 it was closed the by orders of Henry VIII who proclaimed himself is the new head of the newly established Anglican Church. Monastery lands were confiscated by the government and monks were dispersed.


Located in the forests of the North York Moors National Park, the priory is today the best preserved and the most accessible of the ten medieval Carthusian houses in England. It was the last established Yorkshire monastery and one of the few found in Great Britain in the period between the Black Death (1349-50) and the Reformation. It was a small establishment, designed to house a prior and twenty-three monks.