Adams is a defensive fortress situated in Newport, Rhode Island
in United States. It is a massive historic stronghold abandoned
for more than half of a century. Many parts of this fortress
were not touched by reconstruction and it still keeps its
original feeling of past decades.
First coastal fortifications were erected here in a single night
of April 6th 1776 during American Revolution. These were simple
earthworks that protected Colonial American soldiers and their
artillery. They didn't wait too long for an enemy. On April 7th
at 5 am 24 gun frigate H.M.S. Glasgow with a hospital ship
attempted to make it inside a harbour. Colonel Richmond of the
Rhode Island militia drove the enemy away with 35 shots fired
from cannon. Just three days later on April 10th this point
became again crucial in attacking and driving away two ships of
the British Royal Navy, H.M.S. Scarborough and H.M.S. Cimetar.
This allowed the state of Rhode Island to remain free of British
rule and proclaim independence on Mayth 1776.
More permanent military fortifications of the current Fort Adams
here in July 4th, 1799 and designed by an architect Major Louis de Tousard of the Army Corps of Engineers. It held only 12 cannons
for its defences. The first commander of the citadel was Captain
John Henry. A construction of a massive began in 1824 and lasted
for about three decades. A postcard pictured on the left is its
appearance in the last years of its use. It was completely
abandoned in 1953 by the army, although it as inhabited for a
while. Commanding officer's quarters once housed President
Dwight D. Eisenhower who came here during his summer vacations
from 1958 to 1960. Today it open to the public and it is under
protection of Fort Adams State Park. Newport Jazz Festivals
and Newport Folk Festival are occasionally held here.
In 1953, the Army
transferred ownership of Fort Adams to the Navy, which still
uses some of the grounds for family housing. In 1965, the fort,
and most of the surrounding land, was given to the state of
Rhode Island for use as Fort Adams State Park. In 1976, Fort
Adams was declared a National Historic Landmark, in recognition
for its distinctive military architecture, which includes
features not found in other forts of the period. In 1994, the
Fort Adams Trust was formed, which provides guided tours at the
fort and oversees ongoing restoration work at the fort.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower lived at the former commanding
officer's quarters (now called the Eisenhower House) during his
summer vacations in Newport in 1958 and 1960.
early 1950s until the mid-1970s Fort Adams fell victim to
neglect, the elements and vandalism.
Through the efforts
of State Senator Eric O'D. Taylor, in the 1970s Fort Adams was
cleaned up and open for tours and was used for the filming of
the PBS television miniseries The Scarlet Letter. The tour
program was cancelled about 1980 due to budget cutbacks by the
State of Rhode Island.
Since 1981, the Fort Adams grounds
have been host to the Newport Jazz Festival, and the Newport
In the early 1990s, Fort Adams was
subjected to an environmental remediation program which made the
fort safe for public access. About this time, the Fort Adams
Trust was formed to oversee public programs and restoration of
In 1995 the Fort Adams Trust began giving tours
at the fort from May to September. Since that time, the fort has
had several areas of the fort restored as well as having its
land defenses cleared of overgrowth.
In 2012, the park
was the official venue for the America's Cup World Series in