Aztec Ruins National Monument is situated in
San Juan County, New Mexico in United States.
It is located near the city of Aztec and northeast of
Farmington, near the Animas River. The Salmon ruins and Heritage
Park, with more ancestral structures, are located a short
distance to the south, just west of Bloomfueld and near the San
Aztec Ruins National Monument
covers an area of 318 acres (1.3 km2)
and protects ruins of the Anasazi settlement that was created
between 11th and 13th centuries. Its name is derived from a
mistaken romantic belief that it belonged to the Aztec tribes.
Early European settlers that initially stumbled on the ruins of
the settlement assumed that it belonged to the Aztec
civilization that spread their great empire to the American
Southwest. Aztec Ruins were added to the UNESCO list of World
The place was declared a National Monument of the Aztec Ruins on
January 24, 1923 by Presidential proclamation of Warren G.
Harding, and with a change of boundaries it was renamed "ruins"
on July 2, 1928. As a historical property of the Service of
National Parks, the national monument was listed
administratively in the National Register of Historic Places on
October 15, 1966. The Aztec Ruins was added to the list of World
Heritage Sites of Unesco, as part of the National Historical
Park of the Chaco Culture on December 8, 1987.
The property was part of a 160-acre (65 ha)
homestead owned by H.D. Abrams, who supported the ruins
preservation. The H.D. Abrams House in Aztec is listed on the
National Register of Historic Places.