Golden Ghost Town is an abandoned settlement situated in
Josephine County of Oregon, United States.
First community of Golden in these lush forests
was established as early as 1840's shortly after gold was discovered
in the region. Another discovery in 1850 in the nearby Salmon River
further created a boost for population growth. Some of the first
settlers in the region were Chinese immigrants. However, they
suffered greatly from persecutions and rascism. A hydraulic mine
was built in Golden, and in 1885, a schoolhouse was built about
a 0.5 mile (0.80 km) downstream from the city. A Campbellite
church and general store were constructed in 1892 that served
over 150 residents, and in 1896 the Golden post office
constructed. In 1915, a stamp mill was built. The Golden
Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic
In 1920, the post office closed. The church was rebuilt in 1950.
The general store, carriage house, and several homes are still
standing today. The Golden Historic District is listed on the
National Register of Historic Places. As of 2011, Golden has
become an Oregon State Heritage Site.