Nevadaville Ghost Town is an abandoned mining
settlement situated in Gilpin County, Colorado in United States.
Nevadaville was originally found in 1859 and at the time was known
simply as Nevada City. The town began its history shortly after John
H. Gregory discovered in Colorado. Thousands of people fled to the
region of the Western Kansas Territory in search of gold. Most of
residents of the city were of Irish descent who fled persecution and
descrimination on the East coast. In 1861 the fire broke through the
Nevadaville. It destroyed over 50 houses, but the residents managed
to save the city using TNT. The city, however, managed to survive
and prosper. It existed until 1900s until the local mines dried out.
As it happened in many other places Nevadaville began to decline in
its population. In the 20th century it was largely abandoned, its
buildings were left behind and fell in disrepair. The Nevadaville
Masonic Temple that started in 1861 still holds regular meetings.