Araguaia National Park is a protected area in Tocantins state in
Brazil. Initially, Araguaya Park occupied the entire area of
Bananal Island in 2 million hectares. To date, after some changes
in the boundaries of the park, it occupies only a small part of the
territory in the northern part of the island, which is 180,056 ha
Story December 17, 1959 - Bananaal is
transferred to Goias by order No. 2370 to create the Araguaya
National Park. December 31, 1959 - President Juscelino Kubitschek
di Oliveira creates the Araguaia National Park. March 1, 1973 -
President Emílio Garrastazu Médici issues decree No. 71879 on
assigning to the park only one third of the island, located at the
northern end. June 24, 1980 - President João Batista Figueiredo,
by decree No. 84444, gives an area of 557714 hectares to the
Araguaia National Park in the northern part of Bananal Island.
April 18, 2006 - President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva, by his decree,
transferred part of the park to the Javaés Indians, thereby reducing
the area of Araguaia to 180 056 ha.
Ecology The park
occupies the northern tip of Bananal Island in the southwest of the
state of Tocantins and includes parts of the municipalities of Piun
and Lagoa da Confusan. Araguaya National Park is located in the zone
where the Amazonian forest ecoregions converge with the landscapes
of Serrado and Pantanal, and animals belonging to these 3 biomes
live in this territory, as well as an extremely diverse flora with
various rare natural beauty landscapes. The main goal of this
national park is not to attract tourists and visitors, but to carry
out work to preserve the wide variety of biological diversity that
is available here today.
Currently, Araguaya National Park is
managed by the Chico Mendes Biodiversity Institute, the local branch
of the institution is located in Piuna, Tocantins.