Loropéni is located
West of Gaoua in South West Burkina Faso. This archeological
site covers an area of 11,130 sq meters.
Description of Loropeni Archaeological Site
The history of the Loropéni Archaeological Site is somewhat sketchy.
Loropeni was constructed before the arrival of the Europeans
travellers and traders. It was inhabited by tribes of Lohron or
Koulango and probably served as a palace for king Kaan lya of the
Kaan people. Legend claims that Kaan lya constructed his citadel to
protect his life and life of his subjects. He died shortly
thereafter and future kings abandoned Loropeni as their capital. It
was settled by the local people as a walled city.
settlement of Loropéni was surrounded by massive walls for at least
1000 years. It gained it peak power in the 14th- 17th centuries due
to gold trade. However the trade eventually ceased and the site was
eventually abandoned by the 19th century. The site was added to
UNESCO World Heritage List and today it is being uncovered by
international archaeological teams.
The monumental complex was inscribed on the list
of World Heritage properties in 2009 , with an extension of 1.1130
ha and a protection area of 278.4000 ha. It is Burkina Faso's
first place to achieve that honor.
It is the best preserved
of the ten fortresses that the region has, located in the region
with Togo and Ghana . Built over a thousand years ago, abandoned and
reoccupied by the Lohron or Koulango that controlled the extraction
and transformation of gold in the region, at its peak, from the 14th
to the 16th centuries . They were abandoned in the 19th century .
These are walls of red stone blocks, without carving, and
laterite morrillos that rise up to six meters high. There is no
certainty as to its builder.