Medamud Archaeological Site

Medamud Archaeological Site

Location: 8 km Northeast from Luxor, Luxor Governorate Map


Medamud Archaeological Site is an ancient Egyptian settlement situated 8 km Northeast from Luxor in Luxor Governorate in Egypt. Medamud was excavated in 1925 and several religious buildings were indentified including that of the temple dedicated to the god of war Monthu.


The site was excavated by archaeologist Fernand Bisson de la Roque since 1925 and revealed numerous buildings, including an adobe temple dedicated to the ancient god of war, with a bull's head, Montu dating back to the time of Sesostris III . This temple replaced an old sanctuary composed of an open enclosure and pylons that housed cult chapels. It is thought that this primitive sanctuary dates back to the Ancient Empire .

The building of Dynasty XII is one of the rare examples of religious constructions that last from the Middle Kingdom , together with the temple of Sesostris III in Abidos , the temple of Medinet Madi and Qasr el-Sagha in El Fayum , dating from it time or are slightly later than that of Medamud, and of course the funeral temple of Mentuhotep II , of the 11th dynasty , in Deir el-Bahari .

The temple will continue to be decorated under the XIII dynasty , in the second intermediate period of Egypt , and in particular, by Sebekhotep III that will usurp several bas - reliefs of its predecessors, such as that of its famous ancestor Sesostris III, which can be seen in the air museum free of Karnak , where the king is represented welcomed by the god Montu, as well as in the Louvre , which preserves the jambs and the lintel of the door of one of the chapels of the temple, where Sebekhotep III will re-enter his name; the temple will be modified later by the pharaohs of the 18th dynasty including Thutmose III, who rebuilt the sanctuary in stone and adorned it with statues of his effigy.

In its current state, the temple, dates back to the Ptolemaic period and continued to expand and decorate under the Roman emperors. You can see cartridges of numerous emperors, in particular, those of Tiberius . There was a pier that was accessed by a canal connected to the Montu temple from Karnak, preceded by a sphinx dromos , now in ruins. You can still find ancient testimonies of pilgrims, in the form of graffiti, written in demotic , dedications and engraved "foot prints".

Later, in the fourth and fifth centuries, a three-nave Coptic church will be erected.