Burgkapelle (Vienna)

Burgkapelle (Vienna)



Tel. 01- 533 9927

Subway: U3 Herrengasse

Bus: 2A, 3A
Open: 11am- 3pm Mon- Thu
11am- 1pm Fri
Closed: Nov 1, Dec 8, Jan1, Jul, Aug

Vienna Boys’ Choir Jan- June & Sep- Dec: 9:15am Sun


Description of Burgkapelle

Burgkapelle is translated as a Royal Chapel. The original structure dates back to the 13th century, although it was later reconstructed in 1447- 49. It Gothic appearance was replaced by Baroque interior. It is particularly famous for its Boys' Choir that performs here during Mass.


The formation of medieval society by Christianity required a chapel for prayer in every castle. Often they also served as a burial place to commemorate the dynasty, some of which housed relics. Elaborately designed objects also served representative purposes.

Religious care was provided by a specially employed or an outside clergyman. Because of the second function as a clerk, he probably had his own heated room. A chapel or church on an order castle was absolutely indispensable. The Knights needed a place to pray regularly and to celebrate Holy Mass.

Castle chapels usually bore the patronal saint of a saint with a special connection to the knighthood, St. George and Gereon. The St. Markus castle chapel in Brubach even gave the hostel its current name - Marksburg.

For the chapels, several locations and structural variants were considered. Many castles were probably satisfied with an area integrated into another room. If necessary, a picture or figure of a saint adorned him. In the little ones there was enough space for the castle rulers. The chapel bay was somewhat more sophisticated. If it was attached to the Palassaal, it could be used like a nave. In addition to building certificates (e.g. Burg Landsberg in Alsace), household inventories documented such multiple uses. A document from 1463 reported that there was a chest with household textiles and liturgical equipment in the Tomburg Hall.

The chapel room was accessed from the residential building or hall. A chapel building formed an independent building. Both occurred in the most elaborate variant - the two-story double or sometimes multi-story chapels (example for two-story space: Bösig Castle, for three-story building: Büdingen Castle). Another possibility was the combination of chapel and gate construction. a. at Rheda Castle. This connection conjured up divine protection for the most sensitive part of the fortress.

The costly buildings were usually reserved for palaces, sovereign and episcopal castles. It was particularly expensive in the New Ingolstadt Palace. Most of the castle chapels were characterized by a rather simple, single-nave shape. There were no differences in form and integration between the high and late Middle Ages. During the Gothic period, extensions to a residential wing such as the Ziesar castle chapel were made almost exclusively. At that time the double chapels in the narrower sense were missing. Only a few floors above each other were built, which connected a small opening in the false ceiling. At least the service could be followed acoustically. The architectural era mentioned featured ribbed vaults, tracery windows and Gothic portals. Paintings obtained are often the only original murals. The movable equipment was often lost over time.