Dr.- Karl- Lueger Ring 2, A- 1014
Tel. 01- 5144 42613
Trolley: 1, 2, D
Open: for performances
Closed: Good Friday, Dec 24; Jul & Aug (exceptions for guided tours)
The Burgtheater is the most prestigious theatre in the German- speaking Europe. It's first structure was constructed on this place in the late eighteenth century by Austrian empress Maria Theresa. In 1888 the theatre was rebuild under architects Karl von Hasenauer and Gottfried Semper. During World War II the Burgtheater was badly damaged by the Allied and Soviet bombing, however renovation projects after war's end returned previous glory and appearance of the magnificent Renaissance structure.
The Burgtheater in Vienna is considered one of the
most important stages in Europe and is after the Comédie-Française
the second oldest European as well as the largest German speaking
theater. The old Burgtheater was located since 1748 on
Michaelerplatz. In October 1888, the new house on today's university
ring (then Franzensring) was opened. After this was completely
burned out in 1945 as a result of bombing raids, the Ronacher served
until the reopening on October 14, 1955 as alternative quarters. The
Burgtheater is part of the Austrian National Theater.
Older names of the Burgtheater were theater next to the castle and then until 1918 Hof-Burgtheater. Especially in Vienna it is often called "The Castle" for short, the ensemble members are known as "Burgschauspieler". According to the number of employees and budget, it is the "richest and largest repertory theater in the world". Director of the Burgtheater since March 2014 Karin Bergmann. In September 2019, director Martin Kušej, director of the Bavarian State Theater since 2011, will succeed her as Burgtheater director.