Deutschordenskirche (Vienna)


Singerstrasse 7

Tel. 512 1065

Subway: Stephansplatz

Church Open: 7am- 6pm daily

Treasury Open: 10am- 12pm Tue, Thu, Sat

3- 5pm Wed, Fri

Closed: Sun, Mon and public holidays


Description of Deutschordenskirche

Deutschordenskirche is a medieval church that was constructed in 14th century by the Order of Teutonic Knights, one of the most powerful military monastic Catholic orders of Europe that was originally found in the 12th century. You can see their coat of arms and other memorabilia hanging all over the wall of this church. The altar was added in 1520 by Flemish artisans. The Treasury of the disbanded Order is adjacent to the church's courtyard. Grand Master of Teutonic knights gathered splendid religious items, coins, medals, books and many other items. This beautiful Roman Catholic Gothic church was later reconstructed in the 1720's under supervision of architect Anton Erhard Martinelli.


From the predecessor church of the Teutonic Order, the church tower from the 13th century has been preserved. After several city fires, the nave was rebuilt in stages and re-consecrated on the 4th Sunday of Advent in 1395 and placed under the patronage of the Order's patron saint, St. Elizabeth of Thuringia. The originally rectangular shape of the Gothic nave has a star vault. On the south side to Singerstraße were four large windows. In the Baroque period, the nave was converted into an oval room. As a result, galleries covered with Gothic ornamentation were created in the corners, which are accessed by eight apartments located behind.

The portal of the Deutschordenhaus and the passageway to the courtyard behind it form the entrance to the church. On the right you can reach the church vestibule via a small staircase, as the level of the longhouse floor is raised to the street level. On the church walls more than eighty escutcheons are shown, so-called Aufschwörschilde, mostly divided coats of arms with the four heraldic fields of wealthy knights who deposited their coat of arms in the church after the knighthood. The winged altar was created in 1520 in Mechelen for St. Mary's Church in Gdansk and came in 1864 to Vienna. The high altarpiece of 1667, painted by Tobias Pock, shows the Order's patron saint: the enthroned Mary with the Infant Jesus and the saints Elisabeth, Georg and Helena. In the course of the liturgical reform in 1986, the substructure of the winged altar was renewed and a celebration altar and an ambo were added. The cuspinian altar shows the founder John Cuspinian and his two wives Agnes and Anna. There are three funerary monuments to Erasmus Graf Starhemberg, to Guidobald Graf Starhemberg and to Johann Josef Philipp Count Harrach. After the death of the last Austro-Hungarian monarch Karl I./IV. On April 8, 1922, the Knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece held a funeral service for him in the Deutschordenskirche.