Tel. 512 4578
Open: 6:30am- 12pm and 2- 5:30pm Mon- Sat
7am- 5:30pm Sun
Franziskanerkirche is a Roman Catholic church that constructed in 1603 by the Church monastic Order of Franciscans. They erected their church on the site of much older medieval convent. After numerous reconstructions Franziskanerkirche got South German Renaissance facade and Baroque interior. Additionally contains the oldest organ in Vienna that date back to 1642. It was designated by Johann Wockerl and it is still in working condition. The Moses Fountain that stands in front of Franziskanerkirche was added in 1798 by architect Johann Martin Fischer in a Neo-Classical architectural style.
The Franciscan Order constructed first monastery in the district Mariahilf in 1451. It was their first monastery in Vienna, which was destroyed in 1529. In 1589, the municipality of Vienna transferred the empty penitentiary monastery, built from 1383 to 1387, to the Franciscan order. When the Franciscans took over the building - in which former whores were housed as penitents - it came with the inclusion of old components for the construction of the church. Thus it comes that Vienna's only sacred building in the Renaissance style is still often adorned by Gothic elements. The church Franziskanerkirche was completed in 1607 (the design of the interior was not completed until 1720), the monastery was completed in 1630. Its name Franziskanerkirche literally means "church of the Franciscans".
Interior of the Church Franziskanerkirche
The high altar was created by Andrea Pozzo in 1707. The front part is sculpturally sculpted, while the columns, architecture, dome and clouds are painted on canvas. In the course of the restoration church recieved its historical decor according to the plans of Father Bonaventura from 1603 to 1607. Grisaille paintings were also uncovered, which remained hidden for several decades.
Inside, the Wöckherl organ, which is positioned in the choir behind the high altar, should be noted. It was created in 1642, the oldest in the country. It is still playable; her sister organ is in the cathedral and parish church of St. George in Ödenburg and is the oldest functioning church organ in Central Europe from 1633.
Grace statue or Statue of Mercy was created in the 15th century. It came from Grünberg in Bohemia. Protestants tried to destroy the statue. When they tried to burn her, the statue resisted the fire. After trying in vain to destroy it with an ax, the hatchet was left in Mary's left shoulder and the statue has since been revered as the "Madonna with the Ax".