Tel. 512 5896
Open: 6am- 9pm Mon- Sat
Heiligenkreuzerhof is a small compound that once belonged to the abbey of Heiligenkreuz. In the medieval period many rural monasteries established compounds in the city. Heiligenkreuzerhof was such building established in the Medieval times. Current building date back to 1662, but it was greatly reconstructed in 1730's in Baroque architectural style.
The Heiligenkreuzerhof is often
referred to as the oldest apartment building in Vienna. It was built
in 12 or 13 century and belonged since that time to the Cistercian
monastery Heiligenkreuz. From this time the only part of the
building that was preserved are medieval cellar vaults. In 1587,
stone carvings were made by Italian masters, the brothers Elias and
However, a large part of the courtyard, the chapel and the prelate court were demolished in the baroque and rebuilt on behalf of the abbots of the monastery Heiligenkreuz from 1659 to 1676. The farm received its present appearance only after further renovations 1769-1771, from which time come the exterior facades. In the last decades several rooms were rented as private apartments. In 1975-1986 here lived Helmut Qualtinger; his widow Vera Borek-Qualtinger and the Thomas Sessler publishing house. Their presence is marked by a commemorative plaque in the courtyard.
The Bernhards Chapel is located next to the prelature directly on the Schönlaterngasse. It was consecrated in 1679 by Bishop Felix Breuner and is known above all for its high baroque decoration. They were designed by Martino Altomonte, who himself lived in the Heiligenkreuzerhof until his deaths. In the years 2001 to 2003, the chapel was extensively renovated with a total sum of 460,000 euros. Today Bernardikapelle is commonly used for weddings.