Bad Goisern am Hallstättersee is a market town in Upper Austria
in the Gmunden district in the Salzkammergut with 7560 inhabitants
(as of January 1, 2020). The community is located in the judicial
district of Bad Ischl.
The community was called Goisern until February 28, 1955, and Bad Goisern from March 1, 1955 to September 30, 2008.
Bad Goisern in the Inner Salzkammergut is a place with a long
history - but has only been documented since the 14th century under
the name Gebisharn (in a Passau Urbar, around 1325).
The district Steeg am See is an old area of the Hallstatt Salt. As part of the Ischlland, Goisern became part of the Habsburgs in 1278 after King Rudolf I's victory in the battle of Dürnkrut / Jedenspeigen for the inheritance of the Babenbergs. Around 1290 new brine and brine finds were made in the Goisern area, which triggered the salt war between Duke Albrecht I and Salzburg's Archbishop Konrad IV. In 1298 the Ischlland became the hereditary property of Elisabeth von Görz and thus private property of the Austrian archdukes; from 1490 it became part of Austria on the Enns. The mother parish was the Benedictine nunnery in Traunkirchen, Traunkirchen was dissolved in 1573 and the Salzkammergut parishes were added to the newly founded Jesuit college in Passau as a refectory in 1621.
From 1595 to 1607, the brine pipeline to the new Pfannhaus in Ebensee (Ebensee Saline) was built via Goisern.
In 1770 the Wildenstein custodianship office was relocated from the burned down Wildenstein Castle to Goisern to Neuwildenstein Castle (today Forestry Office), which until 1850 served as the custody office (care office and the care court) of the Kammerhof Gmunden (Obersalzamt in Gmunden), then the new k.k. Saline and Forest Directorate in Gmunden takes over the administration of the Salzkammergut.
After Emperor Joseph II issued the tolerance patent in 1781, one of the first tolerance communities in Austria was established in Bad Goisern. The wooden prayer house built in 1782 was demolished in 1813 and today's Protestant church was built in the same place. This belongs to the Evangelical Superintendent A.B. Upper Austria. In 1785 the Catholic parish church of St. Martin incorporated into the newly founded Diocese of Linz.
Goisern has been a spa and climatic health resort since 1931, and in 1952 it became a market. The municipality has had the official nickname Bad since 1955. On June 26, 2008, the Bad Goisern municipal council decided to change the name of the municipality to Bad Goisern on Lake Hallstatt. The corresponding, confirming resolution of the Upper Austrian provincial government followed on August 25, 2008.
The region's tourist development began around 1800, but the tourist boom only really began with the introduction of the railway, which made the area easily accessible. Since then, the Inner Salzkammergut has been a popular tourist destination, which was recognized internationally when it was named a World Heritage Site in 1997. Bad Goisern am Hallstättersee has belonged to the Inneres Salzkammergut multi-municipality tourism association since 2001, together with the neighboring towns of Gosau, Hallstatt and Obertraun. In 2009 the region was renamed from Inneres Salzkammergut to the Dachstein Salzkammergut holiday region. With an average number of beds of around 1,500 and 115 businesses, Bad Goisern achieved around 246,000 overnight stays as of 2017. Bad Goisern has established itself as a popular travel destination, especially in the field of mountain biking and hiking in summer and tobogganing and cross-country skiing in winter.
Traditional events such as the Gamsjagatage, the winds holiday for wood and brass instruments and the violin day in Kirchengasse attract many friends of tradition to the Goiserertal. Bad Goisern is also the venue for Austria's largest mountain bike event - the Salzkammergut Mountain Bike Trophy. With over 4,000 starters from 32 nations, this sporting event has established itself among the best mountain bike marathon races worldwide.
St. Martin's Church
Evangelical parish church Bad Goisern
Chorinsky-Klause in Weißenbachtal. The limestone ashlar dam is a technical monument from the early 19th century and was used for the wood drift.
Anzenaumühle adventure museum: The open-air museum is a typical
Paarhof association for the Salzkammergut, with a residential
building, stable barn, mill and saw. The museum is the oldest pair
farm in the Salzkammergut with a smokehouse, grain mill, sawmill and
stable barn. The roughly 600-year-old property used to be a sizable
business enterprise. Even today, the famous Anzenaumühlner bread is
baked in the old stone oven of the Schwarzen Kuchl.
The Heimat- und Landlermuseum shows, among other things, the culture of the Transylvanian old Austrians in Bad Goisern, who were deported to Transylvania as Protestants in the middle of the 18th century.
The Josef Putz monument is located near the market square. It was built in memory of the member of the Landtag, Kommerzialrat Josef Putz, who died in 1926.