Hotel Badeschloss

 

The Hotel Badeschloss is a former public health resort and a former hotel at Straubingerplatz 4 right next to the Gastein waterfall in the municipality of Bad Gastein in the St. Johann im Pongau district in the state of Salzburg. It is a listed building. After it had been vacant for years, the roof structure burned down completely on March 27, 2013 after a fire.

 

History

The raised bathing palace with two-winged staircases was built between 1791 and 1794 according to plans by Wolfgang Hagenauer on behalf of the Salzburg Prince Archbishop Colloredo. The classical serpentine portal was built in 1794 based on a design by Anton Högl. In 1807 the castle was converted into a public health resort. In 1857 the building was demolished up to the first floor and rebuilt. The German Kaiser Wilhelm I stayed here for the first time in 1863, and then came here annually, with one interruption in 1866, until 1887 for his summer spa stays. From 1912 it was a military spa before being converted into a hotel in the 1920s.

After it had been used, it stood empty for a few decades and had been in the possession of the Viennese real estate investor Franz Duval since 1999, who let it fall into disrepair. On March 27, 2013, the roof structure was destroyed by flames, the cause, according to the police, was arson.

On November 14, 2018 it was announced that the Hotel Badeschloss had found a new investor. The new investor is the Munich-based “Hirmer-Immobilien-Gruppe”. With the assignment contract, the buyer undertakes to set up a commercial hotel in the 4-star superior or 5-star category within three years of obtaining the necessary permits. This is to ensure that the historic center of Bad Gastein does not fall into disrepair.

 

Architecture

The building is a four-storey, seven-axis structure over a rectangular floor plan. The portal is decorated with borders and pilasters. Above it is an inscription from 1794.

The symmetrical double staircase leading to the bathing castle housed a shop belonging to the jeweler Julius Hügler, which was integrated in 1924/25 according to plans by Hans Prutscher.