Bregenz (lat. Brigantium) is the capital of the Austrian state of Vorarlberg and the district capital of the Bregenz district. The city has the most important Austrian port of Lake Constance, is a railway junction and a sports and cultural center. In terms of its population, Bregenz is the third largest city in Vorarlberg after Dornbirn and Feldkirch, but the agglomeration is more than twice the size of the city itself.
Bregenz is located in the westernmost state of Austria, Vorarlberg, in the Bregenz district east of Lake Constance, north of the city of Dornbirn and the Bregenzer Ach. The state capital lies between the mountainside of the Pfänderrücken with the Gebhardsberg protruding to the west and the east bank of Lake Constance on the terraces of the Upper Town and the Ölrain as well as on the shores of the lake. The settlement area has recently expanded more in the direction of the slopes of the Pfänders and Gebhardsbergs, but especially towards the southwest, where the Rieden-Vorloster settlements emerged. These were incorporated in 1919. Further settlement expansions were made along the Bregenz Ach. where, for example, the Achsiedlung originated. The formerly independent municipality of Fluh was incorporated into the municipality in 1938.
Bregenz has a cultural offer that is far above average for cities
of this size. The largest cultural event is the Bregenz Festival.
The Bregenz Festival is an internationally recognized cultural festival and attracts well over 100,000 people to Bregenz (2011: 166,453) every year with a budget of around 20 million euros. The program changes every two years and always lasts from July to August. In addition to playing on the lake on the lake stage, orchestral concerts or operas are played in the adjacent festival hall. With crossculture, there is also a children's and youth program during and before the start of the festival.
The stage is the largest floating stage in the world with an audience capacity of around 7,000.
The Bregenz Jazz Festival has taken place every June on Kornmarktplatz since 2014, after the New Orleans Festival, which took place in early summer for several days in early summer from 1999 to 2013, was no longer supported by the initiator Markus Linder. In addition to the name change, there was also a change in musical genre from blues to jazz. The location and timing remained roughly the same.
The Bregenz Spring is a dance festival that has been taking place in the Festspielhaus every year between March and May since 1987. Dance ensembles from all over the world present their new productions, including Austrian premieres. With a budget of around 500,000 euros and up to 10,000 visitors, the Bregenz Spring is one of the most important dance festivals in Austria. The artistic director was Wolfgang Fetz until the end of 2016. Until 2016 it was an event of the Bregenz Art Association, since the Bregenz Spring 2017 the organization has been with the culture department of the city of Bregenz, and since 2018 also the artistic director. The Bregenz Spring 2020 had to be canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic in Austria.
Vorarlberg State Theater
Located in the middle of the “Bregenz Culture Mile”, the Vorarlberg State Theater in the “Theater am Kornmarkt” has made a name for itself for the interpretation of classics as well as for premieres of modern plays.
The aim of the contemporary theater Kosmos is to inspire young people for theatrical art.
The vorarlberg museum located on the Kornmarkt, until 2011 the “Vorarlberger Landesmuseum”, shows collections on the Roman history of the region, on the art and culture of Vorarlberg, as well as thematic special exhibitions. The new building designed by the architects Andreas Cukrowicz and Anton Nachbaur was opened in June 2013. The seamlessly cast facades by the Bolzano artist Manfred Alois Mayr show a structure made from casts of PET bottle bottoms.
Wettingen-Mehrerau Territorial Abbey
The showpiece of the Cistercian Abbey Wettingen-Mehrerau is the old library. Chalices, vestments, altarpieces and other treasures are in the possession of the monks.
Contemporary fine arts
Kunsthaus Bregenz (KUB)
Since it opened in 1997, the Kunsthaus Bregenz has been one of the most important museums for contemporary art in German-speaking countries. Works by well-known artists such as Roy Lichtenstein and Jeff Koons are shown.
The architect Peter Zumthor won the Mies van der Rohe Prize for Architecture in 1998 with the KUB project.
Artist house Bregenz
In the Künstlerhaus Bregenz (“Palais Thurn und Taxis”), changing exhibitions of contemporary art by international and Austrian artists can be seen.
The magazine 4 is the former warehouse "Magazin 4" of the Pircher company and today the official building of the state capital Bregenz. In addition to the offices of the Culture Department, the building also houses event rooms that are used or rented by the city. Until the end of 2016 it was the home of the “Magazin4-Bregenz Art Association”. Among other things, he organized exhibitions and events in the building.
Vorarlberg's largest library is housed in a baroque church or a former monastery. The renovated domed hall also serves as an event location for B. for readings.
Country house Bregenz
The official building of the Vorarlberg state government was built by Wilhelm Holzbauer from 1973 to 1980.
The Martinsturm, a former granary in the first courtyard of the Counts of Bregenz, was built in 1601 as a tower with a loggia with three arched arcades each on pillars and stone parapets in the northeast corner of the curtain wall. It is crowned by a high curved onion dome with a lantern by Benedetto Prato. It is now one of the landmarks of the city of Bregenz.
Pfänderbahn valley station
For cable car stations, planned in 1926 by the architect
Willibald Braun, there were no models at that time.
Old Town Hall: Built in 1662 by Michael Kuen, this free-standing building with a high pointed gable housed the town hall from the 17th to the 19th century.
Benger area: The factory building with its own administration wing was planned in 1892 by the architects Wittmann und Stahl from Stuttgart and the weaving section was designed by the Bregenz architect Otto Mallaun. This hosiery production facility is an iron construction with a clinker brick facade, with numerous neo-Gothic details such as a crossed gable, tower and bay window. This is where the name “industrial lock” comes from.
Deuringschlössle: This building has a core from the 14th or 15th century and was essentially erected in its current form in the second half of the 17th century.
Fischersteg: In the 1920s, it was possible to take a seaplane tour around Lake Constance from here. In the meantime the Fischersteg serves mainly as a viewing platform and in the summer months (May - September) as an open-air bar when the weather is nice.
Green House: Today this is the seat of the Environmental Institute in Montfortstrasse. This building by Willibald Braun was built in 1925/1926. In the 1920s, classicist architectural elements were still used in a greatly simplified form, the result is representative architecture that has been reduced to objectivity. Traces of expressionism (arcades) and homeland security architecture (oriel turrets) have also been preserved on this building.
"Mili" (former military baths): The operators of this historic bathing establishment are the Bregenz municipal utilities. It is a U-shaped wooden pile structure that lies on the Bregenz pipeline.
Post office: A striking building from the Austro-Hungarian era, built in 1895 by Friedrich Setz. It shows monumental neo-renaissance forms, a domed central risalit with aedicula and ridge lattice as well as presented Ionic columns with crowning allegorical figures of traffic. The post office is in the immediate vicinity of the Kunsthaus and the State Theater.
Roman villa (ruin): The remains of a Roman villa from the 1st to 3rd centuries AD were uncovered in 1990 near the city tunnel.
Lake promenade with pier: The lake promenade leads from the ship harbor past the boat harbor to the floating stage with the festival and congress hall.
Sports house: The sports house of the tourist office with an attached restaurant was integrated into the lake shore landscape and built in the lake facilities in 1906 by the architect Otto Mallaun. Sports houses of this type were a meeting place for society, hence the villa and country house character.
Textilhaus Holzner: Built in Kaiserstraße by Klaus Ströbele in 1935/1936. While in the 1930s the Vorarlberg builders preferred at least allusions to down-to-earth architecture, here the builder gave his architect the opportunity for a decidedly international architecture.
The Achsiedlung is a satellite town along the Bregenzer Ach on the outskirts of Bregenz. The residential complex - consisting of around 50 buildings - is still one of the largest settlement projects in the state of Vorarlberg.
The parish church of Bregenz-St. Gallus was originally a Romanesque complex and was built in the Gothic style after a fire in 1477. In 1737 it was rebuilt in the Baroque style by Franz Anton Beer - with baroque choir stalls by Johann Joseph Christian from the former monastery church in Mehrerau.
Parish Church of Bregenz-Herz Jesu (1908)
The parish church of Bregenz-Mariahilf in the Rieden-Vorloster district was built between 1925 and 1937 as a church for heroes' thanksgiving during the First World War, based on plans by Clemens Holzmeister. The connection of functional buildings (parish and parish hall) and the sacred building with a forecourt to form a complex is remarkable.
The parish church of Bregenz-St. Gebhard in Rieden pre-monastery was built from 1956 to 1961.
The parish church of Bregenz-St. Columban (1966) is a modern church building on Weidachstrasse.
The parish church of Bregenz-Fluh in Fluh is also a pilgrimage church.
The monastery church of Mehrerau.
The Capuchin church of the former Capuchin monastery from 1636 was expanded to include a Joseph chapel in the 18th century.
The Johannes Nepomuk Chapel was built in 1757 with the help of Johann Michael Beer von Bildstein. The restored baroque central building with dome houses a richly decorated high altar.
The chapel on Gebhardsberg and today's pilgrimage church of St. Gebhard and Georg in the former castle goes back to a hermitage founded there in 1720. The current building was built in 1791 after a fire. The painting with scenes from the life of St. Gebhard dates from 1895.
The Chapel of St. Martin was donated by Count Wilhelm III in
1362. von Montfort on the upper floor of the Martinsturm.
The lake chapel was built in 1445 to commemorate the victory over the Appenzeller and was rebuilt by Kaspar Held in the Baroque style in 1698/1699 according to plans by Christian Thumb and is consecrated to St. George and Our Lady. A special feature is the Renaissance high altar (1615) by Esaias Gruber from the former Hofen / Lochau palace chapel.
The infirmary chapel of Our Lady was donated in 1400 by Count Hugo von Montfort for the infirmary. From 1744 to 1746 the Gothic chapel was redesigned in Baroque style.
The Evangelical Kreuzkirche am Ölrain in Kosmus-Jenny-Straße was built in the years 1862–1864 according to plans by Carl Leins in neo-Gothic style. She owns a Rieger organ (1981). During the construction, remains of Roman walls were discovered, some of which are included in the cemetery wall. The building is used by the Evangelical Churches A. and H. B.
The Methodist Church is housed in a villa from the turn of the century and an attached community center at Blumenstrasse 5.
Marienberg Monastery (Villa Raczyński): In 1877 the Polish Count Raczyński had this villa built for his wife on the north-western slope of the Gebhardsberg. The castle villa in neo-baroque style (by Stefan Dragl) crowns the gently sloping park landscape. Since 1904 the villa has housed a Dominican convent and school.
Riedenburg Monastery: The monastery was built by Hans Sutter between 1862 and 1865. The exterior is structured by strong buttresses. The nave and the narrow transept have a shared gable roof. The private girls' secondary school Sacré Coeur of the Catholic order of sisters Sacré-Coeur is located on the grounds of the Riedenburg Abbey.
This strictly symmetrical construction of the Mehrerau sanatorium (1922/1923) with a two-story loggia and archial entrance staircase with modest dimensions anticipates the representative style of Clemens Holzmeister, which he later developed for the government buildings in Ankara.
Thalbach Monastery, "The Work"
In 1436 a community of Franciscan women was founded in the clusa Thalbach at the foot of the Gebhardsberg.
In 1485 the first chapel in the Thalbachklause was inaugurated. After the first new building, Thalbach was given all the rights of a monastery in 1575. For centuries the sisters from Thalbach were known for their exemplary religious life: Thalbach Franciscan Sisters were called to revive decayed or extinct monasteries (e.g. Wonnenstein Monastery in 1584 and Grimmenstein Monastery in Appenzell) or to lead other monasteries (Sipplingen and Möggingen) to be.
When an epidemic raged in the Benedictine monastery Mehrerau (since 1854 Cistercians) in 1592, the Thalbach sisters were asked to take care of the monastery kitchen. The plague has been defeated. As a thank you gift in 1592 the Franciscan Sisters received a precious statue of the Virgin Mary of the Sedes Sapientiae type (“Seat of Wisdom”). In 1609/1910 the monastery church was rebuilt by Giovanni Prato. In 1675 a new monastery was built by the baroque master builders Michael Thumb from Bezau and Michael Kuen from Bregenz. In 1782 the Thalbach monastery was abolished by Emperor Joseph II.
In 1796 the Dominicans of Hirschberg-Hirschtal / Kennelbach acquired the orphaned Thalbach monastery from the city of Bregenz. In 1797 the valuable statue of the Virgin Mary, which had been kept by the Bregenz citizen Karg, was returned to the monastery church. The work of the Dominican women as a contemplative community and at the same time in the education and training of girls was significant for Bregenz and the surrounding area.
In 1983 the clerical family "Das Werk" took over the Thalbach monastery at the request of the Dominican Sisters.
Fountains and monuments
The memorial "Resistance in Vorarlberg 1938–1945" by Nataša Sienčnik has been commemorating about 100 people who opposed National Socialism, deserted or helped refugees since November 2015 on Sparkassenplatz with a three-line ad.
Anton Schneider Monument, Seestrasse: The portrait sculpture of the commander of the popular uprising of 1809 was created in bronze by Georg Matt in 1910.
Hugo-Von-Montfort-Brunnen: Fountain depicting the minstrel Hugo von Montfort (* 1357 in Bregenz) in bronze by Emil Gehrer.
Shadow square fountain: The shadow square is located 100 meters from downtown Bregenz, at the end of Maurachgasse. It got its name because of the light at night, where the fountain is always in the shade.
Near the port is one of the last eight copies of a mushroom kiosk, which is also called "milk mushroom", the latter because you can buy various milk drinks there.
Swimming, skating, jogging and cycling are possible along Lake Constance in summer and ice skating in winter. The conglomerate rock band under the Gebhardsberg has been developed as a climbing garden since the 1980s and is included in the Vorarlberg climbing guide.
The Pfänder is used as a hiking area in summer and as a small ski and toboggan area in winter.
Every year in October the marathon of the 3 countries on Lake Constance takes place in Bregenz. The route leads through the three countries bordering Lake Constance, Germany, Austria and Switzerland and runs along the majority of the distance along Lake Constance, the destination is in Bregenz.
In the Bundesliga, Schwarz-Weiß Bregenz achieved 5th place in the 2003/2004 season, the best placement that a Vorarlberg soccer club had ever achieved in this league. In 2005 the heavily indebted association had to file for bankruptcy. The successor club of the same name, Schwarz-Weiß Bregenz, also plays in the Bodenseestadion, which is now called the "Casinostadion" due to the sponsorship agreement with Casinos Austria.
The Lake Constance Cup has been held annually in Bregenz for young football teams in the U9 to U19 age groups since 2014. During the Whitsun weekend, up to 100 teams with over 1700 players from up to eight countries meet in this competition.
In 1946, the handball club Bregenz Handball (then SC Schwarz-Weiß Bregenz) was founded as a section of SC Schwarz-Weiß Bregenz. Bregenz Handball has won the Austrian Championship in the Handball League Austria nine times and is therefore the record champion. Bregenz Handball also won the Austrian Cup four times and made it into the group stage of the EHF Champions League several times.
Bregenz military bathing establishment
The Bregenz military bathing facility on Reichsstrasse (popularly known as “Mili”) was built in 1825 to train the soldiers of the nearby Bilgeri barracks. It is a single-story pile structure connected to the bank by a wooden walkway and includes changing rooms, a two-story sundeck and ladders into the water. Since the end of the Second World War, the bathing establishment has been operated by the city of Bregenz as a public outdoor pool.
Bregenz beach and indoor swimming pool
The first lido in Bregenz was opened in 1935 after there were already a few interim outdoor pools. Prior to a referendum, the demolition of the old lido, the old floating stage and the sports hall began in 1978 and a new lido with an adjoining indoor pool was built.
In the Am Brand parcel in the upper town of Bregenz, a sulfur bath was used from 1790 to 1806, but it was only of regional importance and is said to have had little healing effect. The nearby Gasthof Schiff also had a small medicinal bath.
See also the therapeutic bath in the Mehrerau: Heilbad Mehrerau and the Territorial Abbey of Wettingen-Mehrerau.
As part of the European “Entente Florale Europe” competition, Bregenz was awarded a silver medal in the city category in 1996.
The place name is traced back to Celtic or Ligurian * brigant- 'outstanding'. It is linguistically identical to place names such as Brienz BE and Brienz / Brinzauls (Switzerland), Brianza (Northern Italy), Bragança (Portugal) and Briançon (France). The earliest known evidence for the name of today's Bregenz is Βριγάντιον (Brigántion) and comes from the years around the turn of the century. Although the current city is only attested from the High Middle Ages, the name was borrowed into Alemannic many centuries earlier, which is reflected in the shift in the emphasis from the second to the first syllable, the sound shift from / t / to / ts / and in the primary umlaut from / a / to / e / before / i / in the following syllable.
Early history and Roman times
The first settlements in the area of today's Bregenz emerged around 1500 BC. This is documented by settlement finds from the Early Bronze Age at the foot of the Gebhardsberg. During the Celtic times (from around 500 BC) Bregenz was one of the most heavily fortified places (oppidum) in the region. At that time, the Brigantier Celtic tribe settled in Vorarlberg. A testimony to Celtic culture is the Epona relief found in Bregenz (Epona or Rhiannon), which, however, dates from Roman times.
In 15 BC The Romans conquered the Vorarlberg area for Emperor Augustus and established the city of Brigantium there - a Roman civil city with a forum, temple district, market halls, basilica, etc. From this phase of the place there are extensive archaeological remains, among others. Mosaics, preserved. In today's Protestant cemetery, a few remains of the walls of the imperial thermal baths are visible over the day. Brigantium quickly grew into a settlement and was also of military importance. The prefect of the Roman Lake Constance fleet had its seat there. A road connected Brigantium via Cambodunum (Kempten im Allgäu) with Augusta Vindelicorum (Augsburg).
Probably in 233 and 259/260 AD Brigantium was destroyed by invading Alemanni, but was rebuilt by the Roman-Celtic population; the naturally better protected upper town has now been expanded and fortified like a fort. The territory of the late antique brigantium included all of the land west of the Arlberg to Lake Constance and adjacent areas in the north. The fortress remained militarily important after 300 AD and, like Arbor Felix, Constantia and Tasgaetium, belonged to a chain of forts that secured the Roman border on the Rhine and Lake Constance. Like Arbor Felix, it was mentioned in the Tabula Peutingeriana, a late Roman map.
The Roman Emperor Gratian visited the city in 377. At least until about 410 AD, a Roman navy was stationed in Brigantium. During construction work on the pedestrian passage in the area of the Roman port (Leutbühel), remains of the late Roman port facility were discovered in 1969.
The Alemanni settled the area around Brigantium from around 470 AD. Between the years 610 and 612 the Irish Scottish missionaries Columban and Gallus worked in the Bregenz area.
The plans of excavations from Roman times from the last 150 years were recorded in the digital city map by June 2017 and made freely accessible on the Internet. Archaeological excavations in 2013 and 2019 found walls at the foot of the upper town, which, according to the archaeologists involved, suggest a Roman theater.
The upper town (old town) lies within the roughly rectangular wall area of the town walls from the 13th to the 16th century, most of which have been preserved. Around 1220 three parallel alleys were laid out with about 57 farmsteads of equal size, each with two ares.
The first urban expansion down the hill by the Maurach was completed at the end of the 13th century. At its foot towards the lake, Kaiserstraße was expanded in 1363.
In 1330, Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian granted the citizens of Bregenz the right to hold a weekly market every Monday.
In 1404 and 1445 the Bregenz suburb was destroyed in the Appenzell Wars and besieged for several months in the winter of 1407/1408 during the Battle of Bregenz. In 1451 the Princely House of Habsburg bought half of the County of Bregenz with the city of Bregenz. In 1484 the expansion of Kirchstrasse was completed and at the end of the 15th century the market at Leutbühel gained more weight than the upper town.
After the most important noble family of the Lake Constance area, the Bregenz branch of the Counts of Montfort, died out, the whole of Bregenz became part of Front Austria in the Archduchy of Austria in 1523.
17th to 19th century
On January 4, 1647, Bregenz was captured by the united armies of
Sweden and France under Field Marshal Carl Gustav Wrangel during the
Thirty Years' War. Before the Swedes withdrew again towards the end
of the war in 1647, they blew up Hohenbregenz Castle on Gebhardsberg
(see Naval Warfare on Lake Constance 1632–1648).
From 1650 to 1652 the Kornmarkt was founded in Bregenz, which was paved from 1665 to 1667 and gained in importance.
In 1704 attacks by the French on the Klause were repulsed. In 1753 an administration in Upper Austria was established with its seat in Konstanz, which existed until 1759. From 1759 to 1803 the responsibility for Vorarlberg, Swabia and Breisgau lay in Freiburg im Breisgau. Bregenz became a Habsburg country town.
In 1805 Bregenz became part of the Kingdom of Bavaria. In 1809, around 3,000 Vorarlberg freedom fighters were set up under the supreme command of High Commissioner Anton Schneider.
In the course of the following clashes against Bavarian and French troops, the Vorarlberg riflemen were able to record the greatest success on May 29, 1809 in Klien (near Hohenems). After the defeat of the Austrian troops by Napoleon in July at Wagram, most of the Vorarlbergers gave up the fight. Only a few Oberlanders (Klostertaler and Montafoner) continued to resist the advancing French and Bavarian troops under Riedmiller's command - until they too fled to Tyrol in August.
Anton Schneider was arrested, and Vorarlberg received a strong Bavarian occupation. Under the government of the Count of Montgelas, which was under French influence, the city got a modern administrative structure. In 1814, under the influence of the Congress of Vienna, Bavaria renounced the front of Austria, which meant that the rulers in front of the Arlberg (Vorarlberg), together with the city of Bregenz and Tyrol, fell back to the Austrian Empire.
The slopes behind the upper town include with the residences Lößler, Schedler, Mildenberg and Riedenburg were originally Counts of Montforts fiefs with wine and fruit growing and later partly belonged to the Mehrerau monastery.
For a long time the city was only accessible from the north through the hermitage. The widening of the Reichsstraße took place in 1831/1832 by Alois von Negrelli. A new connecting axis was created in 1849 by building the Römerstrasse and Arlbergstrasse. In 1861 Vorarlberg received its own state parliament with its seat in Bregenz. At the end of the 19th century the area between Belruptstrasse and Kornmarktstrasse was laid out like a grid.
20th and 21st centuries
Until the First World War, Bregenz was a garrison of the k.u.k. Austro-Hungarian Army, in 1914 the staff and the 1st Battalion of the Salzburg Infantry Regiment "Archduke Rainer" No. 59 were located here.
In 1918, now part of the Republic of German Austria, later Austria, the Vorarlberg administration separated from that of Tyrol, and Vorarlberg became a federal state with the regional government in Bregenz.
On May 11, 1919, a referendum took place in Vorarlberg - it was about the start of negotiations with Switzerland about the country's accession to the Confederation: 80% of Vorarlberg's eligible voters were in favor of such negotiations, and in Bregenz 1,701 in favor and 1,453 against it.
From 1938 the city was part of the new Ostmark. The area was later renamed "Donau- und Alpengaue" in the Greater German Empire. Bregenz became a district town in the Reichsgau Tirol-Vorarlberg and district leader was Hans Dietrich.
In the years 1939 to 1941, more than 2,000 South Tyroleans moved into the South Tyrolean settlement.
Bregenz Jews were also affected by persecution and deportations. On the day of the “annexation” to the German Reich, a doctor from Bregenz demanded in the Vorarlberger Tagblatt that the “exterminators of the German people be stamped out”. Especially from the spring of 1942 onwards there were waves of persecution.
On April 29, 1945, French troops crossed the Vorarlberg border at Lochau and Hohenweiler and on May 1, Bregenz was conquered, with the city being partially destroyed. From 1945 to 1955, Bregenz was part of the French occupation zone, and reconstruction in the state of Vorarlberg took place. With the occupation, a state government and a mayor were appointed.
In the post-war period, the use of the level of the Feldmoos and the Weidach, located under the Arlberg-, Josef-Huter- and Kennelbacherstrasse, for residential buildings began.
In 1984, on the occasion of the 175th anniversary of the uprising year 1809, an Andreas Hofer memorial was opened in the South Tyrolean settlement.
The Johann-August-Malin-Gesellschaft, founded in 1982 as the
“Historical Association for Vorarlberg”, is dedicated to researching
contemporary history, especially anti-Semitism, Austrofascism and
National Socialism and the resistance to it. In 2011, their chairman
Werner Bundschuh and the then Deputy Mayor of Bregenz, Gernot
Kiermayr (Greens), demanded the erection of a memorial for Wehrmacht
deserters in Bregenz. At that time, only one large project for a
deserter memorial in Vienna was conceived in Austria. In November
2014, the city of Bregenz announced a two-phase competition. From
October to December 2015, a program of events accompanied the
opening of the memorial by Nataša Sienčnik on November 14, 2015 on
Sparkassenplatz with a speech by Holocaust survivor Ágnes Heller on
the subject of a world that needs heroes.
On December 4, 2019, Bregenz received the Austrian SDG Award and was recognized as a pioneer in the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Austria. This was the first time that the Senate of the Economy, supported by the Austrian National Council and the Federal Ministry for Sustainability and Tourism, had announced the Austrian SDG Award for sustainable communities and cities in Austria and in Vorarlberg the The market town of Nenzing and the state capital Bregenz received awards.
The highest point in the municipality is over 1000 m above sea
level. A. a little south of the Pfänder summit in the district of
Fluh; the lowest point is the water surface of Lake Constance with
an average height of 396 m above sea level. A .. Lake Constance is
also the lowest point in Vorarlberg. The city center of Bregenz, the
lowest in Vorarlberg, is 398 m above sea level. A.
The political municipality of Bregenz consists of three cadastral municipalities (area as of December 31, 2019):
Bregenz (936.41 ha)
Fluh (585.97 ha)
Rieden (1,400.58 ha; incorporated in 1919)
In these cadastral communities, there are the four districts: Prelude, City, Rieden (the Riedenburg Monastery is also located there) and Fluh. Kennelbach was also part of Rieden until 1912. In addition, the separate district of Fluh (incorporated in 1938/1945) on the slopes of Pfänder and Gebhardsberg forms a third cadastral community. In the municipality of Bregenz, certain locations are described in the form of reed names; these (e.g. Schendlingen, Am Stein, Funkenbühel, Hinterfeld, Ölrain, Thalbach, Brittenhütten) were already mentioned in the original folder from 1857.
The municipality is divided into two localities (number of inhabitants in brackets as of January 1, 2020):
Bregenz is on the east bank of Lake Constance. Bregenz borders on Lindau and thus on Germany via a narrow strip of shore that extends northwards along the easternmost part of the lake before Lochau. This border extends over a few hundred meters in the mouth of the Leiblach (middle of the river).
The Bregenzer Ach forms the border to the neighboring communities of Lauterach and Hard in the south and south-west. It then flows into Lake Constance between Bregenz and Hard. The Pfänderbahn has been running since 1927 on Bregenz's local mountain, the Pfänder (1064 m above sea level), the southern flank of which is the Gebhardsberg. Bregenz is 502 km west of Vienna as the crow flies.
The beginning of the lake facilities was a lake shore path in 1842. The expansion continued with the shipping port. It began in 1842 and the "Molo" was completed in 1890. The railway site was filled in and the promenade built in 1900 was extended by running a “pipeline” towards Lochau.
In urban terms, however, the city was cut off from the lake shore by this railway line. This would have been reinforced by the parallel motorway route planned in the 1960s. A referendum in 1960 resulted in a 90 percent rejection of the lakeshore route, but this was followed up by the federal governments. On the other hand, in January 1969, there was massive resentment among the Bregenz population, which ultimately led to the route of the motorway through the Pfänder tunnel.
In 2009 and 2010 the port and sea facilities were redesigned. A new port building ("shaft") was built. Concrete seating was created at the flower mole ("sunset steps") and a new lighthouse was built. Since 2014, the pipeline, i.e. the 1.7 km long access to Lake Constance between the Bregenz harbor and Lochau, has been gradually redesigned so that a new beach with a gently sloping bank is being created.
Around 63,000 people live in the Bregenz metropolitan area. In addition to Bregenz (28,000), this contiguous settlement area also includes Hard (13,000), Lauterach (10,000), Wolfurt (8,000), Kennelbach (2,000) and Lochau-Süd (2,000). In addition, a ribbon of settlements connects the cities of Bregenz and Dornbirn more and more to an agglomeration with over 100,000