Location: Pusarnitz, Carinthia Map
Constructed: 12th century
Feldsberg Castle is a medieval stronghold situated just of Pusarnitz (municipality of Lurnfeld) near Spittal an der Drau in Carinthia state in Austria. The earliest reference to military fortifications date back to the 12th century. At least the first mention of the citadel was recorded in 1189 by Hainricus de Veldisberc, a provincial minister of Salzburg. Feldsberg Castle an important role in politics of the region. In fact it was in a middle of a dispute between Counts of Gorizia and Archdiocese of Salzburg. However in the late 15th century development of siege artillery made Feldsberg Castle useless in terms of war. It was abandoned around 16th century and it was used as a local quarry.
Despite years of neglect ruins of Feldsberg Castle are still impressive. It was constructed as a simple Romanesque complex, but much of the original structure is largely gone. It has an irregular rectangular outlook, following the terrain of the hill plateau. In certain parts defensive walls of Feldsberg Castle reach a height of 8 meters.