Goldenstein Castle is a medieval stronghold that is located in Carinthia state in Austria.
At this point there were two castles. Almost nothing can be seen
of the slightly higher Goldburg, remains of the lower and more
favorable Goldenstein Castle are still there. Both castles were in
the dominions of the Counts of Görtz. The oldest information about
the old gold castle dates back to 1227. The castle was partially
destroyed in a dispute between the castle owner and the Duke of
Carinthia. In 1250 the Gorizia minister Hainricus de Goltpurch sat
in the castle. 1271 an Amelricus de Goltpurch is detectable. In 1292
Alhaidis de Goltpurch sat here with his son Amelreich. The castle
appeared to have existed for some time, but fell into disrepair for
It was succeeded by the more conveniently located Goldenstein Castle. It was first mentioned in a document in 1359. However, the castle had existed for a long time because it had been pledged by the Gorizia to the Flaschbergers and was redeemed this year. 1374 sat on Goldenstein Mertel von Altenhoven. Around 1390 the dominion and the court were sold to Friedrich von Ortenburg. In 1459, in the fight for the inheritance of the Counts of Cilli, the castle was taken and destroyed by Count John of Gorizia. After the Peace of Pusarnitz in 1460, the castle became the property of the Habsburgs. Goldenstein was rebuilt under Emperor Friedrich III.
After that, it was repeatedly pledged by the Habsburgs. So in 1496 to Simon von Ungersbach, then Simon Krell followed as the lien holder, and this was followed by Peter Graf zu Monsar. At the beginning of the 16th century Hans von Mandorff followed. At that time the castle already seemed to be in a state of decay, because in a report from 1528 Goldstein is described as "abkhumen". In 1524 it was handed over to Gabriel of Salamanca together with the County of Ortenburg. In 1640 the Widmann brothers acquired the ruined castle and sold it in 1662 to Ferdinand von Porcia, in whose family Goldenstein remained until 1918.