Description of Hartneidstein Castle or Burgruine Hartneidstein
Hartneidstein Castle is a medieval citadel
situated in Lavant Valley in the Austria province of Carinthia. It
was erected in the 14th century by Hartneidstein of Weissenegg on a
high ground (877 meters above sea level) overlooking a village of Eitweg below.
Weissenegg family sold Hartneidstein Castle to the Counts of Cilli
in 1363. In 1425 Hartneidstein Castle was acquired by Diocese of
Bamberg who officially established the citadel as a regional court.
Shortly thereafter in 1469 it
was besieged and captured by the invading armies of the Ottoman
Empire. Turks burned down the citadel and looted everything they
could carry away. Hartneidstein Castle was shortly re- build to the
same size. At the end of the 17th century the court was moved to
Wolfsberg and medieval citadel was transferred to the military
purposes. Hartneidstein Castle was used for military
purposes until it was abandoned in the 18th century.