Neu (New)- Montfort Castle is a ruined medieval fortress
in Vorarlberg region of Austria. It was constructed between 1311 and
1319 by Counts of Montfort on a protected hilltop at an elevation of
513 meters above surrounding plains.
Montfort Castle was found in early 14th century by a noble Montfort
family. Originally it was consisted of a single five storey tower
50 years after its construction it Neu Montfort Castle was sold to
the Habsburg family in 1363 who needed a foothold in Vorarlberg
region of Austria.
During Appenzell War of 1405- 08 Neu Montfort Castle was
used by the federal government who used it as military barracks and
a base of military operations. It is one of the
citadels in the regions that didn't fall into enemy hands and
remained largely preserved despite hostilities.
Neu Montfort Castle was abandoned in the 17th century
after the death of its last owner Ulrich Koch. No one wanted to buy
it as its fortifications did not match military technologies of its
time. Today it is owned by the municipality of Gotzis. Its walls
were restored in 1970 and its main tower was restored in 1974- 75.