Church of Sts. Primus and Felician

 

 

The Church of Saints Primus and Felician is located in the northern part of the popular resort of Bad Gastein, about 600 meters from the city's main train station. This Catholic church was rebuilt several times, and its modern building is in the neo-Gothic style in the years 1866-1876.

The first religious building on this site appeared back in 1122, but this medieval building has not survived to this day. New buildings of the church were erected in the middle of the 17th century and at the beginning of the 18th century, while the last building stood for over a hundred years and was closed due to its dilapidated state in 1858. The construction of the new church building was supervised by Jacob Ceconi, a member of a family of Salzburg architects. The solemn consecration of the new church took place in 1878. It was consecrated in honor of the early Christian martyrs - the brothers Primus (Primus) and Felician, who accepted a painful death for their faith at the turn of the 3rd and 4th centuries.

 

The exterior of the temple is made in accordance with the neo-gothic style, and therefore the building is distinguished by a variety of graceful arcades and lancet windows. However, the church is also supported by powerful buttresses, which, of course, are already deprived of their defensive significance. The architectural ensemble is complemented by a two-storey sacristy and a high four-level tower topped with a thin red-painted spire.

The interior of the church is also made mainly in the neo-Gothic style, and its main altar, dedicated to the patron saints of the temple - Primus and Felician, was made after the Second World War. Its author was the famous German sculptor Jacob Adlhart. However, an ancient statue of the Madonna, dating from 1490, has been preserved in the altar. Several more Baroque sculptural groups of the 18th century are located in different parts of the temple, including in the choir and in the side altar. The organ of the church has been operating since 1874, and the stained glass windows were replaced in 1953.