Traun

 

 

With 24,756 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2020), Traun is the fifth largest city in Upper Austria; it is located in the Linz-Land district. The southern city limit is the Traun, the northern one is Wiener Straße (B 1). The responsible judicial district is the judicial district of Traun.

Traun has become a popular place to live, as the city has a good infrastructure, such as high quality of living, school facilities, large shopping opportunities, many sporting and cultural offers, district authorities and quick transport links to the nearby state capital Linz and the A1 and A25 motorways.

The city administration planned a modernization for 2006 and 2007. Across from Traun Castle, an area of ​​around 13,000 m² was purchased, and a new four-story shopping center with business, office and living space was built there. This should also give the city a new and representative quarter. In January 2007, the new center in the city center, which was livened up by business relocations, opened.

The city of Traun has been a “climate alliance community” and also a “bicycle-friendly community” in terms of a healthy environment.

 

Destinations

Museums
The gallery of the city of Traun offers visitors constantly changing exhibitions by artists (e.g. pictures, sculptures).

Buildings

Traun Castle

Traun Castle is a castle complex in the Upper Austrian town of Traun (Schloßstraße 8). The moated castle was first mentioned around the year 1120 (1111) with B (P) ernhard de Trune. The Trauns were a noble family that even belonged to the so-called "Apostles", but then descended into the ministry of the Otakare, later the Babenbergs and finally from 1246 the bishops of Passau. The reason for this is likely to be the withdrawal of fiefs or a marriage to the "worse hand", i. H. an inappropriate marriage. The brothers Wernhard and Dietrich von Traun were already ministerials. They remained in the possession of their ancestral castle until 1630. Then Siegmund Adam von Traun, married to Eva von Pollheim, had to sell his rule to Werner t‘Serklaes von Tilly, a nephew of the general Johann T’Serclaes von Tilly, who had already acquired the rule of Tillysburg Castle, because of his Protestant creed. This succeeded in loosening the feudal bond and transforming Traun into a free property. After a long process, Ernst Graf von Abensperg and Traun (1608–1668), who had been converted back to Catholicism, was able to regain possession of the castle and lordship of Traun in 1664.

After the genealogical link to the Counts of Abensberg, confirmed by the emperor, and the ensuing elevation to the rank of imperial count by Emperor Ferdinand III. under the name Abensperg and Traun 1653 the Traun counts of Abensperg and Traun called themselves. This family still owns Traun Castle to this day.

Traun Castle is a three-storey, eight-axis complex with small corner turrets. A round arched granite portal forms the entrance to the manor house. The castle is covered by a double hilted roof. The current building was probably built in the Renaissance style in the second half of the 16th century by Otto († 1572) and Otto Bernhard von Traun († 1605). A fire of 1620 caused some damage. It used to have a square tower, which can still be seen in a windowless part of the outer front. As can be seen in the engraving by Georg Matthäus Vischer, the castle was enclosed by a wall with round towers, which formed a connection to the two side wings and closed the castle on all sides from the surrounding pond. The design of the baroque front side dates from 1725.

The entrance is a bailey with an entrance gate (the presumed original castle complex) and a chapel. The gateway, which is provided with a round tower, is now at an angle to the access path, as the previously existing moat was filled and the bridge that was no longer needed was demolished. Two side wings lead off from the gateway:
the one on the right is a former farm wing (brewery from the 17th century in the north wing of the castle; the brewery was active until 1851, then the premises were converted into apartments),
on the left is a small house connected to the gate wing, in which the sacristy of the adjoining chapel is housed.

These side wings enclose a large, tree-lined courtyard.

The castle chapel dedicated to St. Margaretha was built in 1363 by Johann (Jan) von Traun and his wife Dorothea. The chapel was a Protestant place of worship for around 80 years during the Reformation period until 1624. In 1788, after the St. Dionysen Church in Traun was closed, the chapel became the first parish church. In the 19th century, the chapel was piled up with rubble to build apartments here. A false ceiling was also installed in the chancel and the baroque stucco in the nave was removed. The wall paintings were partially destroyed or painted over by the installation of windows, intermediate walls and an attic staircase.

The castle already suffered a lot in the 19th century, as it was no longer the main residence of the owners and was only managed by carers. In 1884 the castle pond was filled in; the outbuildings and even the manor house became apartment buildings. Traun Castle was also badly damaged by a shot down American plane in World War II. The northwest tower was completely destroyed.

 

Renovation work began in 1956, so that the facility is in very good condition today. During the renovations, the rolling slots of a drawbridge, Gothic windows in the chapel and scratched plaster ornaments on the fore lock and on the surrounding wall were exposed. In 1961 the facade of the gate building was rebuilt. The palace complex is leased to the state of Upper Austria and is used for cultural events. The local history museum of Traun is located in the ring mantle complex of the castle.

 

Catholic parish church in Traun: The church in the center of Traun was built in the neo-Gothic style and consecrated in 1890. The architect was Raimund Jeblinger.
Evangelical parish church in Traun
The Catholic parish church of Traun-St. Martin was consecrated in 1960.
The Catholic parish church of Traun-Oedt was consecrated in 1989.
Traun / Pucking power plant: The power plant was opened on July 8, 1983. After the power plant was built, the Traunau meadows were revitalized and cycling and hiking trails were built along the Traun.

freetime and sports
Bathing center Traun and Oedter See: One of the most important leisure facilities is the bathing center Traun, with its indoor pool, outdoor pool, sauna and ice rink, as well as the Oedter Lake right next to it, which attracts thousands of bathers in summer and many strollers in the rest of the time.
At the Trauner Stadion (sports center) there is a large sports hall, which can be divided into three small halls, a hard court and two soccer fields (one main and one side field). The main field is bordered by a running track. On the west stand there is seating in the south curve and standing space on the east stand. The total capacity of the stadium is around 6,000 seats. Since 2010 the name of the stadium has been HAKA-ARENA.
From the western city limits to the railway bridge, the Traun is accompanied by an asphalt bike path, the Traunauradweg, at the railway bridge and leads a few hundred meters north, parallel to the river to the eastern city limit, from where the trail exists Possibility to continue to Linz. In a westerly direction you can go to Marchtrenk and further. This cycle path is also popular with walkers, hikers, joggers and other recreational athletes, as it is an ideal local recreation area in the city with its many route options within the Traunauen.

Regular events
In the spinning mill, guests are offered cabaret, cabaret, concerts (e.g. rock, pop, alternative, a cappella), theater projects from the Traun schools and more.
Since the opening of the renovated Traun Castle, events have been held in the newly created “Schönberg Hall”, with the main focus being on classical music and performance.
The “Trauner Culture Days” take place in early summer.
In summer, open-air rock concerts under the title “FR.I.Z.” (Friday in the center) are held on the Pfarrplatz.
The farmers' market with regional specialties, held every Friday afternoon in the former pedestrian zone (Linzer Straße), is a magnet for the people of Traun and the surrounding area.
On the last Saturday in July, the popular "Traun-Vinum" takes place in the city center, where Austria's best winemakers present and serve their best wines.
Every year in September the Trauner Fest takes place in the hall of the sports center and the parking lot and the meadow south of the stadium.
The Easter market on Palm Saturday and Palm Sunday in the castle courtyard has already become a traditional and loved institution for many visitors.
On the 1st weekend in Advent, a Christmas market is held in the atmospheric courtyard of the castle.

 

History

Traun has become a popular place to live, as the city has a good infrastructure, such as high quality of living, school facilities, large shopping opportunities, many sporting and cultural offers, district authorities and quick transport links to the nearby state capital Linz and the A1 and A25 motorways.

The city administration planned a modernization for 2006 and 2007. Across from Traun Castle, an area of around 13,000 m² was purchased, and a new four-story shopping center with business, office and living space was built there. This should also give the city a new and representative quarter. In January 2007, the new center in the city center, which was livened up by business relocations, was opened.

The city of Traun has been a “climate alliance community” and also a “bicycle-friendly community” in terms of a healthy environment.