St. Ulrich Church is located in the eastern part of the spa town
of Bad Kleinkirchheim. It was almost completely rebuilt in the
middle of the 18th century. The first documentary mention of this
building dates back to 1166. There are no traces of a medieval
building, however, some details have been preserved from the
subsequent building of the church, already made in the Gothic style.
In 1743, a fire broke out in the city, and the church had to be
rebuilt, this time in the Baroque style.
St. Ulrich's Church consists of a spacious nave and lower choirs. The entire building is covered with a pitched roof. The main facade is supported by graceful columns. It is worth noting the lancet northern portal of the building - this is the only surviving part of the building made in the late Gothic style. The architectural ensemble is complemented by a bell tower, built in 1837 and topped by an elegant onion-shaped dome, typical of Austria and southern Germany.
The interior design of the temple is in baroque style. The vaulted ceilings of the choirs are supported by columns, and the walls are adorned with exquisite paintings, however, quite modern - the work was carried out in 1926-1928. But the dome of the cathedral was painted in 1782 and depicts St. Ulrich. The main altar, side altars and pulpit were made in the first half of the 18th century.
Some of the interior details of the church were completed later and belong to the next style - Rococo. These include, for example, medallions dedicated to the life of St. Ulrich. Also worth noting are the 17th century gravestones that mark the burials of priests and rectors of this parish. It is interesting that the church bell was cast in the late Middle Ages - in the XIII century.
The church is a Romanesque-Gothic building with baroque conversions in the existing wall. It consists of a four-axle nave with a high pitched roof and a low, retracted choir with a three-eighth end. The facades are structured by delicate pilasters. The windows and the west portal are from the Baroque, the pointed arch north portal from the Gothic. The tower on the north side, built in 1837, is crowned by an onion helmet. The oldest bell dates from the 13th century, another bell was cast by Rupert Dringer in 1664.
In the broadly proportioned main hall house, an undivided barrel arches over narrow cornices. The retracted triumphal arch is structured by pilasters with entablature. Painted pilasters decorate the square choir. An iron-studded door with late Gothic pointed arches leads from the north wall of the choir to the sacristy on the tower ground floor. The painting in the flat dome of the choir from 1782 shows the transfiguration of St. Ulrich. The wall paintings in the choir, above the triumphal arch and in the nave were created by Jonas Ranter in 1926–1928. In the nave, scenes from the legend of St. Ulrich and the battle on the Lechfeld. The painting of St. Joseph with baby Jesus from the beginning of the 19th century on the north wall of the choir was uncovered in 1988. On the south wall of the nave there is a baroque fresco from 1768 depicting Christ on the Mount of Olives. The parapet of the west gallery was painted with saints using the grisaille technique in the 18th century.
The high altar shows St. Ulrich on the central picture and a Madonna with Child Jesus and St. John the Child and carries the carved figures of St. John Nepomuk and Franz Xavier from the first quarter of the 18th century above the sacrificial passage portals. The two side altars, the pulpit and the organ case also date from this period. The pictures of the side altars show John the Baptist and Ignatius von Loyola on the left and Saints Erasmus and Leonhard on the right. A crucifixion group from the first quarter of the 18th century is attached to the south wall of the nave. Two priest tombstones from 1718 and 1604 are walled in on the north wall of the nave.