Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Zagreb)





Tel. (01) 481 4727

Open: 10am- 5pm Mon- Sat

1- 5pm Sun


Description of Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Zagreb Cathedral, located in the Kaptol neighborhood of the Croatian capital, is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary and St. Stephen and St. Ladislaus of Hungary. Its slender towers can be seen from almost the entire city. In 1094 King Ladislaus founded the Archdiocese of Zagreb and then built a small Romanesque church with a simple nave to be enlarged later. During the rough invasion of 1242, it was set on fire. It was not until the thirteenth century that Bishop Timothy built the central nave, with two adjoining chapels and the sacristy.

The construction and decoration of the Cathedral was continued by Bishop Stephen III (Kani┼żaj) in the second half of the fourteenth century, who completed the construction with the latest styles and finished the central nave and the first Gothic chapels to the north and south. Again the fire burned him almost completely at the end of the same century.

At the beginning of the 15th century, Bishop Eberhard appointed some of the most distinguished European master craftsmen to renovate the church in the late Gothic style. But meanwhile, he suffered an attack from Count Celjski that destroyed it again. In addition, Nikola Thurn, the commander of the Spanish auxiliary troops, destroyed the two bell towers in 1529.

In the middle of the 16th century, the Cathedral was reconstructed in Gothic style, with the decoration commissioned by Bishop Osvald Thuz. During the next century a massive five-sided bell tower with Renaissance elements, a watchtower and a defensive building that replaced earlier small bell towers were erected near the cathedral. The bell tower represented the symbol of the city until the earthquake of 1880 and can be found in all the drawings and the first photographs made of Zagreb.

Bishop Juraj Haulik (1837-1852) introduced new Croatian-style furniture, made changes to the altar by decorating with wooden sculptures and enriched and decorated the entire sanctuary.