Nové Hrady (German Gratzen) is a town in the Novohradské foothills near the border with Austria, about 30 km southeast of České Budějovice and 20 km south of Třeboň. With an altitude of 541 m, they are the highest town in the district of České Budějovice. The cadastral area of the city is 7,968 ha and has a population of approximately 2,500. The postal code is 373 33, except for the local parts of Byňov, which has postal code 373 34 and Údolí 374 01. The historical core is a city monument zone. The Nové Hrady railway station is in Byňov - Jakula, 5 km from the town.
Nové Hrady was an important border fortress in the
Middle Ages. The sources document a Slavic fortified settlement, in
the 13th century a high medieval castle (Gretzen) belonging to the
Vítkovci family was built here. After 1620, Nové Hrady became the
residential town of the Buquoys, who lived here until 1945, first in
a rebuilt Rosenberg house on the square, rebuilt into a Baroque
residence, later in a newly built early Classicist castle on the
edge of the historic city center. The eastern part of the city (the
cadastral areas of Nakolice, Obora u Vyšného and Vyšné) was annexed
to Czechoslovakia until 31 July 1920 as part of the so-called West
Vitorazsko and incorporated into Bohemia in the judicial district of
Nové Hrady in the political district of Kaplice. Originally, these
three cadastral territories belonged to Lower Austria.
Affiliation of the village: in 1850 the village of Nové Hrady in the district of Nové Hrady; 1869 village in the district of České Budějovice; 1921 village in the district of České Budějovice; 1931 village Nové Hrady (German Gratzen) in district Kaplice; 1950 village Nové Hrady in district Trhové Sviny; 1961 village in the district of České Budějovice.
Attractions in and around the
Terčino údolí (also Tereziino údolí) - a national natural monument declared in 1992, a state nature reserve since 1949 on an area of 139.29 ha. The first modifications of the open landscape in the romantic valley of the river Stropnice took place at the initiative of Terezia Buquoyová, née Paarová in 1765. According to the oldest surviving plan from 1770, the park is called Beautiful Valley, in which the Blue House, Wenceslas Spa, Swiss House and Hamr, set up an artificial waterfall and other landscape features. After the park was handed over to the Countess' nephew Jiří, the park was renamed Tereziino údolí. It is an extraordinary example of early landscape creation.
Červené blato National Nature Reserve
Hojná Voda National Natural Monument
Natural monument Sokolí hnízdo a bažantnice
Natural monument Horsetail pond
Nové Hrady Castle
Church of St. Peter and Paul - parish, first mentioned in 1284. This early Gothic building was destroyed with the Hussites in 1425 and the army of Zdeněk of Šternberk in 1467. The new building was completed around 1590. The Swabian net vault of the presbytery dates from this time. , the most perfect in southern Bohemia. In 1726, the damaged Renaissance roof and tower were demolished and replaced by a typical Baroque octagonal onion dome with a lantern.
Monastery of Divine Mercy of the Family of the Virgin Mary - Servite monastery. Servite Monastery at the Church of St. Peter and Paul, was founded in 1677 by the owner of the estate, Count F. Buquoy, as a thank you to the Virgin Mary for healing from severe injuries in the battle with the Turks. Restored after 1990 mainly thanks to donations from Austria.
Nové Hrady Chateau
Buquoy residence - at this place there used to be several detached houses, which were built here by the Rosenbergs. By combining them and transforming them into the whole complex, the form of the so-called town palace was created in the years 1634–1635. All this on the instructions of Countess Mary Magdalene of Biglia, who, after arriving in Nové Hrady in 1626, refused to inhabit the already unsuitable castle. The Buquoys lived in the residence until the early 19th century, when they moved to the newly built castle. After that, the residence was used as an office of the economic and building office of the estate and as apartments for employees. After 1945, it was used by a forest plant. Today it serves as a hotel and restaurant.
Tannery, Komenského street
Kovárna, Komenského street - first mentioned in 1719, when it was owned by the blacksmith Ferdinand Grössinger and it is probable that it was built at this time. The whole building consists of a living area, barn, barn and its own blacksmith's workshop. The blacksmith trade was operated here for almost 200 years. Then the building was used for housing. In 2000, the city bought the former smithy and reconstructed it according to surviving records. In the building you can see a fully functional historic smithy, a collection of blacksmith tools and traditional products.
Town Hall - a Renaissance town hall in the northwest corner of Republic Square. First mentioned in 1593 as a municipal house. Its Renaissance origin is revealed by the cross ridge vaults on the ground floor. The town hall was connected to the town brewery in the back wing of the building, which was converted into a pub and later into a cheese factory after a fire in 1906. In 1749, the town hall was rebuilt in the Baroque style, and almost a hundred years later the wooden ceiling in the rooms and the clock tower and bell are dated. The facade in the facade is decorated with the emblems of the city and the Buquoy family.
Novohrad Museum, Česká street