Humpolec (German: Humpoletz, 1939–1945 also Gumpolds) is a town in the Pelhřimov district in the Vysočina region, 23 km northwest of Jihlava, about halfway along the D1 motorway between Brno and Prague. Approximately 11,000 inhabitants live here.



Parish Church of St. Nicholas

The Church of St. Nicholas is a Roman Catholic parish church of the Humpolec parish-vicariate. It is built in a mixed style of early Gothic, Baroque Gothic and Neo-Gothic. It is protected as a cultural monument. Church of St. Nicholas is mentioned in 1233. The original Gothic part was built in the 3rd quarter of the 13th century.

The Baroque adaptations are probably the work of Jan Blažej Santini, as follows from the connection between his work for the Želiv Monastery and the stylistic analysis of the building. The builders were the owners of the estate Herálec Eleonora Kristýna, Countess of Regal and her son Maxmilián, Count of Regal.

Humpolec was part of the Herálec estate, and although it was not owned by the Želiv Monastery, the town parish was regularly planted by the Želiv Premonstratensian Order. The repair of the unfinished church, which was then unfinished in the Middle Ages and burned down by fire, was probably considered from 18 January 1716, when the Humpolec church was visited by Santini and Vogler, probably in order to develop a project. However, the parish priest of Humpolec and the Premonstratensian monastery of Želiv, Fr. Michael Hrůza, applied for permission to rebuild it until January 8, 1720. In his request, he wrote that he had been trying to repair his church for a long time, some chalices and monstrances. Hrůza returned his request on April 11, 1720. However, the consistory still asked for the approval of the Dean of Ledeč, Jan Alexander Kloffetius. On May 17, 1720, he confirmed that the building material was already in place, but that, according to the builders, the cost of repairing and rebuilding the church would be much higher, as the church needed a brand new vault, wall reinforcement, addition of a new tower and new presbytery. Unfortunately, the author of the report did not give the names of the builders, nor did the mentioned plan, which was sent back to the applicant, be preserved. Then, on June 1, 1720, the consistory granted the requested permission.

The reconstruction of the church began in 1721 and was completed in 1722; however, according to surviving records, the "restored church" was inspected by Abbot Hlín on June 17, 1721. The foundation stone of the church tower was laid in 1721 by the patroness Eleonora Kristýna, Countess of Regal, née Metternichová, and the second foundation stone Regalu, as a memorial record informs us, preserved in a transcript from the 19th century. It is also said that a new vault was made and side pillars were built around the church. The construction was carried out by master mason Matěj Isthum. Ferdinand Neth, a master carpenter from Želiv, made equipment (a large altar, grids, stools and choirs), of which only the pulpit has survived. This equipment was probably created according to Santini's design, "because the close formal proximity to the equipment of the monastery church in Želiva is obvious." The repair and reconstruction of the Humpolec church was completed on August 28, 1722.

The masonry destroyed by the fire and the supporting pillars had to be repaired. The church was vaulted with brick cross vaults, and in the middle nave with a large pancake. The vaults were probably decorated with Baroque-Gothic decor. The preserved Baroque-Gothic morphology of the interior “is relatively simple and compositionally logical. A hexagonal, small headquarters of the sacristy in the axis of the chancel was added, and an axial tower on the west side. The facades of the church were plastered and divided by simple, pointed windows with stucco-modeled panels. The west tower was lower and its masonry reached to the ledge under the clock in its present state. The original pyramidal roof of the tower had a small lantern, fitted with a tall and pointed pyramidal roof, as evidenced by photographs from the end of the last century.

During the 19th century, the Baroque main altar and other altar buildings were removed. In the years 1893 - 1895, the church was regotized by Matěj Blecha according to the plans of J. Martin.

Construction description
The church is a mixture of early Gothic, Baroque Gothic and Neo-Gothic. It is built on the ground plan of a cross with a long pentagonally closed chancel. A hexagonal sacristy is attached behind the chancel in the axis of the church. Transverse nave with pentagonally closed chapel spaces. The tower stands in front of the west facade along the nave. The neo-Gothic helmet of the tower has four cantilevered bay windows in the corners. On the outside, the church has armrests and tall Baroque Gothic pointed windows without tracery. The main portal is neo-Gothic. The chancel is glazed with three fields of Baroque Gothic cross vault and ribs at the end. The triumphal arch is pointed with a rough wedge profile. The side chapel at the transept is equipped with a six-part rib vault. The side spaces of the transept are glazed with a cross rib vault. The sacristy is glazed with a six-part vault with angled strips and in a square at the intersection with a baroque fresco of the Last Judgment. Murals by J. Filip on the front arches of the side chapels. Figural windows from 1907 to 1912. The church furnishings are mostly neo-Gothic. There is a public viewpoint on the tower.


Evangelical church

The Evangelical Church is located in Humpolec in the former district of the Czech City, today in Husova Street. He is the successor of the Tolerance Church in Zichpil. Since 2012, together with the parish and the school, it has been protected as a cultural monument of the Czech Republic. In 1785, the Church of the Toleration was erected in Zichpil, the first evangelical prayer house in Humpolec. However, evangelicals were concentrated mainly in the České město district (today's Havlíčkovo náměstí and its surroundings), Zichpil was inhabited mainly by Jews (they also had their Jewish town nearby) and Christians (they lived mainly in the area of ​​today's Horní and Dolní náměstí). In 1852, the Evangelicals built a school in the Czech town, and two years later a rectory was added. At the turn of the 1950s and 1960s, the tolerance church ceased to be suitable for capacity, so in the years 1861-1862, a new evangelical church was built in today's Husova Street. Its construction was financed mainly from public collections and donations from Protestant countries. The author of the building design is J. Martin. In 1891, a Neo-Renaissance tower by J. Blecha from Karlín was added.


Cemetery Church of St. Jan Nepomucký - the building from 1869 was created thanks to collections and donations. The tower was built and the interior furnished in later years. It is a single-nave neo-Gothic building with a tower and three altars surrounded by a cemetery.


Tolerance Church

The Tolerance Church stands on Zichpil, the former Humpolec district and today a street, opposite Nápravník's building, with which it forms the Zichpil open-air museum. Across the parking lot is adjacent to the church of St. Jan Nepomucký with a cemetery. It has been protected as a cultural monument since 1963.

The foundation stone for the construction of the Tolerance Church was laid on May 18, 1785. During the construction, an order was issued on August 26, according to which the windows could not be vaulted, but had to be square, so the construction was suspended and the windows had to be modified. The consecration took place on October 9 of the same year, making it one of the oldest tolerant churches in Bohemia. At the end of the 1840s, it underwent modifications, during which the arching of the windows was restored and a new entrance in the façade was excavated. The old entrance from the former rectory then remained as a side door. After the construction of a new evangelical church in the Czech town, it functioned only as a funeral home. Then, until 1961, it was used by the then Czechoslovak Hussite Church. In that year, it bought the former Jewish synagogue, and the Toleration Church subsequently again performed its funeral function, this time of both churches. In 1976, a mourning hall was erected near the cemetery and the tolerance church was thus unused for more than 30 years. Since 2012, it has been open to the public within the Zichpil open-air museum.


Parish (deanery) - Baroque building from 1732. The walls are divided by lysine strips, windows with shambrans, in the middle on the ground floor there is a portal ending in a segment.
Synagogue - U Vinopalny 492
Jewish cemetery
Medova vila - a building designed by architect Josef Gočár in a constructivist and functionalist style. The building also includes an ornamental garden.
The savings bank building - originally a courthouse. After the release of the town from servitude in 1807, the town hall was located here. In 1848, Karel Havlíček Borovský spoke from the window as a newly elected member of the Humpolec Parliament. In 1906, Karel Kramář gave a lecture on the 50th anniversary of Havlíček's death. In the same year, T. G. Masaryk was also here. The current building was built in 1929 according to the design of Č. Musil. A memorial plaque of Karel Havlíček Borovský by sculptor Josef Šejnost from 1935 on the building.
City library building - built in 1873 as a new town hall. The project was designed by architect Josef Zítek. It is a representative building in the Neo-Renaissance style. At present, the city library is located here.
City Hall - an Art Nouveau building from 1912–1914 designed by architect F. Kavalír. Two-storey building with a segmental gable and bay windows on the sides. A stone portal from Orlík Castle with the year 1548 is walled up in the building. The second floor with elements of the Neo-Baroque style. Sculptural decoration by actor and sculptor František Fiala (Ferenc Futurist). On the ground floor of the building is a memorial plaque of the second-war fighter ace Josef Dygrýn.
Monument to the native anthropologist Aleš Hrdlička and his museum
Monument to Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk - by Vincenc Makovský with an urban design by Josef Gočár. The monument was ceremoniously unveiled on Tyrš Square in 1937. Thanks to regime changes - National Socialism and Communism - the monument was removed three times and then rebuilt.
Monument to Romanian soldiers above the railway tracks
Memorial plaque to the most famous immigrant Hliník
Štůly under the Orlík castle - gold was mined in the Humpolec region in the Middle Ages, either by mining from solid rock (primary occurrence) or by panning from unpaved rocks (secondary occurrence). Near Orlík Castle, there is an almost half-kilometer zone of mining works in the forest, which includes a 100-meter-long (and well-preserved) main section of mining mines with a depth of 5-7 meters with a flooded bottom. The main section of the mines continues westwards in the form of a 20–30 m wide zone of mines and dumps with a length of approximately 170 m, which is followed by a series of shallow exploratory mines. To the east, the mines merge into an interconnected system of work. The deposit was almost completely mined. The mineralization (banded, interspersed and exceptionally venous texture) is here bound to pararules, bed quartz veins and lenses, and coarse-grained recrystallized and quartz positions of erlan with sulfides. The mineralization reached a thickness of 1-2.5 m. The gold content here ranges from 0.3 to 10.8 g per tonne. The location is one of the most interesting monuments of medieval mining in the vicinity of Humpolec and is protected.
Březinka gold paddy field - in the earliest times, gold was panned here in the lower parts towards the village of Čejov. In the 13th century to the 14th century, gold was probably mined here, probably by mining. Furthermore, feldspar was mined here for a short time at the beginning of the 20th century. Gold mining was carried out near Humpolec only in these localities and in the locality Trucbába near Humpolec-Hněvkovice.



The first written mention of Humpolec is from 1178, when the then village was donated to Přemysl Soběslav II, but it was probably established earlier as a guard post on the path leading from Prague to Moravia. Later it belonged to the Teutonic Knights and until 1325 the village belonged to the Želiv Monastery. After 1325, the village belonged to the Order of the Red Star Crusaders. Church of St. Nicholas is mentioned in 1233; the original Gothic part was built in the 3rd quarter of the 13th century. Later, the village belonged to the lords of Lipá, the lords of Dubá, the lords of Leskovec, Trčky and Lípa and the lords of Říčany. During the Hussite wars, the city was one of the Hussite outposts.

Between the 13th and 15th centuries, silver was mined in Humpolec, later draperies predominated. The brewery of the owners of the Herálecký estate was founded here in 1597, and its tradition was continued in 1991 by the businessman Stanislav Bernard, when he built a prosperous family brewery Bernard from the bankrupt brewery.

After the Battle of White Mountain, the town was confiscated and the owners of the Somls became owners. Subsequently, Humpolec was owned by other families, at the time when Humpolec was owned by Count Wolkenstein-Troszburg, the then village was promoted to a town in 1807. In the 19th century, the cloth guild was very developed in the town and the town was nicknamed Czech Manchester. In 1848, the National Guard was established in the town and Karel Havlíček Borovský became a deputy for the town. On September 1, 1894, Humpolec was connected to the railway network. Modern alterations to the city, made in 1939 and 1941, were designed by architect Josef Gočár. In 1910, the district office of the Humpolec district was established in the town, the town remained a district office until 1960, when the state administration was reorganized and Humpolec became part of the Pelhřimov district.



Rail transport
The Humpolec railway station is the terminus on the Havlíčkův Brod - Humpolec railway line.

Road transport
The D1 motorway passes through the cadastre of the town, which crosses the exit I with the road I / 34 on the territory of the neighboring Vystrkov. Then the road II. classes:
II / 129 in the section Křelovice - Petrovice - Humpolec
II / 347 in the district of Světlá nad Sázavou - Humpolec
II / 348 in the section Rozkoš - Štoky
II / 523 in the section Větrný Jeníkov - Krasoňov - Humpolec

and roads III. classes:
III / 03418 Humpolec - Vilémov - Plačkov - Kamenice
III / 12924 Sedlice - Hněvkovice - Humpolec
III / 12924a from the road III / 12924 to Kletečná
III / 12934 Humpolec - Brunka
III / 12935 Humpolec - Jiřice
III / 12936 II / 130 - Lhotka - Jiřice
III / 13116 Krasoňov - Mikulášov
III / 34771 Humpolec - Světlice - Budíkov
III / 34775 Bystrá - II / 523