Luhačovice

 

Luhačovice is a town in the district of Zlín in the Zlín Region, 16 km southeast of Zlín on the river Šťávnice. The city has a cadastral area of 33 km² (3,299 ha), 1,099 houses and has a population of approximately 5,100.

Luhačovice has the fourth largest spa in the Czech Republic and the largest in Moravia. People with respiratory diseases, digestion and obesity are mainly treated here. The spa owes its fame mainly to mineral springs. There are 6 natural springs and dozens of drilled springs in Luhačovice. The most famous and most important spring of Luhačovské lázně is the Vincentka spring located in the local colonnade.

 

History

The first traces of Slavic settlement in this region are documented as early as the 7th and 8th centuries, as evidenced by archaeological finds in Obor near Luhačovice. The oldest written mention of Luhačovice dates from 1412, they were promoted to a town only on June 3, 1936. In German they were called Bad Luhatschowitz.

Location and attractions
Luhačovice is located in the valley of the river Šťávnice (also called Luhačovický stream) and is surrounded by steep wooded hills. They are the center of a specific transitional ethnographic area of ​​Luhačovské Zálesí, located on the border of Wallachia and Slovácko. Although the town lies at an altitude of 250 meters and the peaks of the surrounding hills reach a maximum altitude of 672 meters (Komonec peak), there is a noticeable foothill character. Three kilometers upstream of the river Šťávnice, a dam called Luhačovická or Pozlovická was built in the 1920s. Her first task was to contain the regular floods that ravaged the spa. Over time, however, it also took over the recreational function and now serves mainly fishermen. The Fishermen's Association organizes spring and autumn fishing competitions here, which are known throughout the Czech Republic.

The city has a large number of different cafes, wine bars, restaurants and pastry shops. Today, people do not only go to Luhačovice for treatment, but the local conditions will satisfy visitors with tourism, sports and social activities. The ever-increasing level of hospitality before and after World War I had a significant impact on the interconnection of various branches and the qualitative growth of Moravian cuisine. For tourism, special circuits are created in Luhačovice around the area with natural scenery. In the vicinity of Luhačovice there are documents about the arrival of the Slavs in the Czech Republic, the ruins of castles or the Serényi chateau. There is also a sports hall, tennis courts and a spa theater in the town.

The city has a prized urban and architectural face, supported and predicted by the breathtaking rugged terrain of the connected valleys. Excellent architects Dušan Jurkovič, Emil Králík, Oskar Poříska took part in the architectural design of Luhačovice. One of the pioneers of modern architecture and the internationally respected personality Bohuslav Fuchs even left an indelible mark here. He drew up several zoning plans for Luhačovice and, according to his design, the Radun, Iva, Avion and Viola boarding houses and the Sáva villa were built.