Podebrady is a spa town in the Central Bohemian Region in the
district of Nymburk. The city is located in the Elbe lowlands on the
river Elbe, less than 50 km east of Prague on the D11 motorway. It
lies at an altitude of 184-190 meters. Approximately 14,000
inhabitants live here. The area of the city cadastre is 33.70 km2.
Settlement has been found in the place of today's town since the time of the young Paleolithic. King Přemysl Otakar II. here in the years 1262–1268 he built a stone castle, gradually rebuilt into today's Poděbrady chateau. The Poděbrady estate flourished under the lords of Kunštát. The most famous representative of this family was the Czech King George of Poděbrady. In 1472, his sons promoted Poděbrady to a town. In the years 1495–1839, the Poděbrady estate was administered by the Royal Chamber, then it was bought by the Viennese banker Jiří Sina. In 1905, a mineral spring was drilled in the courtyard of the chateau, and in the following decades the town became a well-known spa, specializing mainly in the treatment of diseases of the heart and circulatory system.
The local city monument zone, declared in 1992, protects both the historic core of the city and the adjacent spa district. Podebrady is known to visitors mainly as a quiet spa town with many monuments.