Telč

 

 

Telč (German Teltsch, Latin Telcz) is a town in the Jihlava district in the Vysočina region, 25 km southwest of Jihlava. Approximately 5,300 inhabitants live here. The historic core of Telč is a valuable urban conservation area and is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

 

History

According to local legend, the town was founded as early as 1099. However, the first written mention of it dates back to 1315. An important date is the year 1339, when Telč was owned by Oldřich III. from Hradec from the Vítkovec family. His family then made a significant contribution to the development of Telč. He built a local castle and church, fortified the city and also built Gothic houses around the market. In 1386, a fire destroyed the western half of the square with the church and town hall. In 1423, the Hussites conquered the town.

In the middle of the 16th century, the local estate Zachariáš from Hradec was acquired and Telč was once again in its heyday. During the Thirty Years' War, the city and the whole region suffered the malice of Swedish and imperial troops. In 1712, František Antonín Lichtenštejn-Kastelkorn inherited the local goods. He was the last member of this family branch and died childless in 1761. The Telč estate was inherited by his cousin Alois Arnošt Count Podstatský of Prusinovice on the condition that the name and coat of arms of Liechtenstein-Kastelkorn and Podstatský of Prusinovice be merged as Podstatský-Liechtenstein. In the 18th century, there was an increase in the bourgeoisie. The beginning of the 19th century is marked by industrialization. The construction of the railway from Jihlava to Telč in 1898 and its connection via Slavonice to Schwarzenau in Austria also ended the city's communication isolation.

On April 1, 1980, the villages of Borovná, Dolní Dvorce, Doupě, Dyjice, Dyjička, Stranná, Vanov, Vanůvek, Volevčice and Zvolenovice were annexed as local parts to Telč. On July 1, 1980, Horní Myslová was annexed, and on January 1, 1986, Radkov and Strachoňovice. The last wave of mergers took place on January 1, 1989, when Mysletice, Olší and Zadní Vydří were annexed. However, all the villages became independent on January 1, 1992.