Třešť (German: Triesch) is a town located in the west of Moravia,
in the central part of the Vysočina region. It lies on the Třešť
brook, which is a right-hand tributary of the river Jihlava, 13.6 km
southwest of the regional town of Jihlava and 11.5 km northeast of
the town of Telč. The altitude of the town is between 540 m above
sea level (Třešťský stream) and 600 m above sea level (near the
The origins of the city, which has a population of approximately 5,700, date back to the 13th century. The first written mention dates from 1349. Třešť is known today mainly for its nativity scenes. The historic core is a city monument zone.
The neighboring villages of the seat are Otín, Suchá, Dolní Cerekev, Hodice, Batelov, Jihlava, Růžená, Panenská Rozsíčka, Jezdovice, Kostelec, Pavlov and Vílanec.
The parish village of Třešť was founded in the 13th
century, but the first written mention of Třešť dates back to 1349.
In 1872, the first Czech burgher school in Moravia was founded in
Třešť, and in 1901 Třešť was promoted to a town. At the end of the
Second World War, an uprising took place here (it took place from 5
May to 7 May 1945), which was suppressed by the SS unit and then 57
local citizens were executed.
The local parts of Třešť became Buková and Jezdovice on April 1, 1980, and on January 1, 1986, Panenská Rozsíčka, Třeštice and Růžená were annexed to the town as a local part. On the contrary, on February 27, 1990, Růžená became independent and on December 31, 1991, Jezdovice, Panenská Rozsíčka and Třeštice became independent. In 1998, the city was granted the right to use the city battalion.
Owners of the Třešť estate:
1626–1657 Herbersteins of Carinthia
1657–1669 Gayer of Edelbach
1669–1831 Herbersteins from the Austrian line
1831–1844 estate under official administration
In the years 2006–2010, Ing. Vladislav Nechvátal, since 2010 this function has been performed by Ing. Vladislav Hynk.