The town of Zruč nad Sázavou is located in the Kutná Hora district in the Central Bohemian Region. It has approximately 4,900 inhabitants. Zruč is connected by road II / 126 to the motorway exit D1 Soutice 57 km from Prague. It is 32 km from Kutná Hora. The towns of Domahoř, Dubina, Nesměřice and Želivec are part of the town.
The first written mention of the village comes from
1328, when Heřman of the Chvalovský family from Ledec donated the
right to file church in Zruč to the Prague Monastery in Zderaz. In
1355, Petr of Orlík, named twenty years later from Kolovrat, is
mentioned as the patron of the local church. The spinning wheels
lived in Zruč for almost 200 years. During the reign of the Kalenice
family, Zruč was promoted to a town in 1561. The coat of arms of the
Kalenices was conceived as a city emblem - two connected silver
buffalo horns on a red shield (this is still the case today). In the
second half of the 16th century, the Kalenics rebuilt the original
Gothic castle into a Renaissance chateau. However, the chateau and
the whole estate were confiscated from them in 1623 with the
participation of Albrecht of Kalenice in the estate uprising.
In 1781, the castle was engulfed in a fire, which destroyed the castle archives and most of the interior decoration. It was not until 1872–1878 that Jan Skrejšovský had the chateau repaired, even in the Baroque style. Another reconstruction in the years 1891–1894, which was carried out by Jan Schebek, a businessman in the field of railway construction, was already carried out in a romantic style. The Schebk family owned the Zruč chateau until 1948, when it was expropriated. Today, the castle is the property of the city.
On March 24, 1939, Baťa signed a contract for the construction of a shoe factory. The first assortment, based on the gates of the Baťa plant in Zruč, was men's and women's shoes. And during the war it was the so-called baganchata, work shoes on wooden soles. After World War II, in 1953, the factory was renamed Sázavan Zruč, n. P., And produced quality children's footwear, which was sold all over the world. Thanks to this race, Zruč has grown. Baťa's original plans for the city were such that Zruč would be equal in size and production to the shoes of his Zlín factory. The airport, hospitals and universities were to stand in Zruč. After the arrival of the Germans in 1939, the plans could not be realized and after the nationalization after 1945, this plan was not further developed. Even now, Zruč is divided by the local unofficial name into the new Zruč (Sázavan) and the old Zruč.
In the 1970s, a Švihov reservoir was built near the town, which is fed by the Želivka river. This reservoir supplies drinking water not only to Prague, but also to the wide surroundings of Zruč nad Sázavou and the Želivka river. In the village Nesměřice (4 km from Zruč) there is a dam of this reservoir.
The film The Loves of a Blonde by Miloš Forman was shot in Zruč, which was nominated for an Oscar as a foreign language film. The film won in Cannes and won the Palme d'Or, and was nominated for a Golden Globe. Zruč can also be seen in the film The Grandfather, Kylián and Me. The Boating Museum was opened on 19 September 2015 in the premises of Zručský dvor, and the exhibition The Story of the Sázava River was opened in the granary. Every first weekend in July, a punk-rock festival called Zámekfest takes place in the area of Zruč Castle.