Faaborg

 

 

Faaborg or Fåborg is a market town with 6,988 inhabitants (2020) on the south coast of Funen by Faaborg Fjord. The city is the largest city in Faaborg-Midtfyn Municipality and belongs to the Region of Southern Denmark.

Faaborg is located between hills, and in the waters off are the many small islands in the Funen Archipelago. The city has many old well-preserved houses and a well-preserved environment in the city center.

From Faaborg there are ferries to Avernakø, Bjørnø, and Lyø, as well as Søby on Ærø. Previously, there was also a ferry to Mommark on Als, that route was replaced by Bøjden-Fynshav in 1967. There has also been a ferry connection to Gelting in Germany, which was closed in 1999.

The town houses Faaborg Gymnasium and several schools. In Faaborg is the Faaborg Museum of Funen Painting and the Archipelago Museum, which runs a museum in the old grocery store by the harbor and the Law and Punishment Museum in Faaborg Arrest

 

Geography

Faaborg is a port city on the Danish South Seas. On the northern edge of the city is the lake and the Sundet nature reserve. The city is located south of the Svanninge Bakker, part of a hilly nature reserve, the Fünsch Alps. South of the city of Faaborg is the Horne Land peninsula.

 

History

Faaborg is mentioned for the first time in 1229. The occasion was the donation of the city by King Waldemar (also Waldemar the winner) to a Portuguese princess Eleonore (not to be confused with the princess of the same name, who married the Habsburg Frederick III in 1452), who married one of his sons. The name of the city is a bit unclear, but it probably means Foaborg or Fuchsburg.

Until the beginning of the 19th century, the hills to the north of the city were covered with heather, while the valleys were used for agriculture. When agriculture and livestock farming were no longer profitable, forests were planted.

Culture and sights
The old town of Faaborg is one of the best preserved in Denmark. Particularly noteworthy is the free-standing bell tower of the old town church St. Nikolai, which was abandoned and demolished after the Reformation in favor of the monastery church of the Holy Spirit as the new parish church.

The Faaborger city gate Vesterport is one of only two surviving city gates in Denmark; the other is in Stege on the island of Møn.

The Faaborg Museum, inaugurated in 1915, with the collection of the canning company Mads Rasmussen is well worth a visit. It includes paintings and sculptures mainly by Funen artists such as Peter Hansen, Fritz and Anne Syberg, Johannes Larsen, Poul S. Christiansen and Kai Nielsen. In addition, there are temporary exhibitions with contemporary artists.

A few kilometers west of the city is Hvedholm Palace.

Skjerninghøj north of the village of Svanninge is a well-preserved megalithic complex of the funnel beaker culture.

Transport and infrastructure
Road 8 runs through Faaborg from Tønder to Nyborg, and road 43, which connects the city with Odense, begins here.

Faaborg is the starting point for ferries to the islands of Ærø, Avernakø, Lyø and Bjørnø. From 1965 to June 30, 1999 there was a ferry line to Gelting in Schleswig-Holstein. Via the southern Horne Land with the ferry port Bøjden, Funen is connected to the island of Alsen by the ferry port Fynshav.

Faaborg used to be a railway junction. This is where the Odense – Nørre Broby – Faaborg Jernbane from Odense (closed in 1954), the Svendborg – Faaborg Bane from Svendborg (closed in 1954) and the Nyborg – Rings – Faaborg Bane (passenger traffic in 1962 and goods traffic in 1987) met. In 1988, the section between Faaborg andringen, which runs through the Pipstorn, was taken over by the Syd Fyenske Veteranjernbane museum railway, which has been operating museum railway operations in the summer months since May 28, 1992. In 2002 the last train ran the entire route, the trains then ended in Corinth (Fyn). In 2011 the section between Corinth andringen was dismantled, and the railway embankment has been a cycle and footpath ever since. The former train station is the city's central bus station.