Faxe

 

Faxe (formerly spelled Fakse) is a station town in South Zealand with 4,165 inhabitants (2020), located in Faxe Municipality. East of the city is Faxe Kalkbrud. After the merger with Haslev and Rønnede Municipalities into the larger one in 2007, the spelling "Faxe" was adopted again. The town belongs to Faxe Parish and is located in Region Zealand.

 

History

The name Faxe (Faxæ, Faza) is Old Norse and means "horse mane", probably with reference to the town's location on a ridge.

According to one theory, the chief's son Rollo, who conquered the country around the mouth of the Seine around 900, came from the Faxe area.

The town is mentioned in 1280. It was replaced as late as 1851.

Among the oldest buildings is Faxe Church, which dates from 1440. In 1577, the church and rectory burned down, but were both rebuilt. In Faxe is also Denmark's oldest primary school - Rasmus Svendsen's School, a half-timbered house built in 1633 at the request of the parish priest Rasmus Svendsen.

A narrow-gauge railway between Faxe Kalkbrud and Faxe Ladeplads was opened as early as 1864, and in 1879 the Østbanen was opened with sections from Køge over Hårlev to Faxe and Rødvig, respectively. In 1880, the two lanes were connected. Faxe station was designed by architect Heinrich Wenck.

Around 1870, the town was described as follows: "Faxe, by the county's smaller country road from Kjøge to Præstø, with Kirken, Præstegaard, Capellanbolig, Skole og Kro with Handelsprivilegium, Jernstøberi, Bageri, Boghandel, 5 Kjøbmandshandler, Bolig for en Læge, Bogtrykkeri, hvorfra 3 "Faxø Avis" is published weekly.

Around 1900, the town was described as follows: "Fakse (1890: 1041 Indb.), A market town-like village, Electoral site for Præstø County's 2nd Folketingskreds, with Church, Præstegd., School, Technical School (Room in the Municipal School), Private School, Assembly House (opf. 1887), Amtssygehus (built 1889—90 after drawing by architect Ph. Smidth, expanded 1892; space for 42 patients; the buildings are insured for DKK 83,910), pharmacy (auxiliary pharmacy from Vemmetofte), branch of Vordingborg County Hall, Spare - og Laanebank (opr. 1897), Sparekasse (opr. 2/6 1869; 31/3 1896 var Sparernes saml. Tilgodehavende DKK 1,519,016, Rentefoden 4 pCt., Reservefonden DKK 79,994 Kr., Antal af Konti 2152), Politistation, Jærnbane - og Telegrafstation {Fakse Ä), Telefonstation, 2 Kroer (F. Kro og F. Stationskro), Kalk-stensbrud (iVktieselskab, opr. 29 / i0 1883; Aktiekapital l1 / 2 Mill. Kr .; se ndfr.), Jærnstøberi og Maskinbyggeri, Bageri, Boghandel og Bogtrykkeri ("Landboernes Avis"; "Fakse Avis" is printed in Kjøge), Markedsplads, where in March and Oct. kept Market with Cattle, and many merchants and Craftsmen. Aktieselskabet „F. Gas and Waterworks ", built in 1897, will build a gas and waterworks for F. and Fakse Ladeplads in Hylleholt Parish."

Waterworks were built in 1900. In 1903-04 the town's pharmacy was built.

The courthouse was built around 1908 by Præstø County Council at the request of citizens in Fakse Herred, who believed that criminals in the area were not hit hard enough.