Femø (pronounced by the locals as fem-ø) is an island in Smålandsfarvandet north of Lolland. The island is part of Lolland Municipality.

Highest point: Issemosebjerg, 22 meters above sea level.
With its hilly moraine landscape, Femø is the most hilly of the islands in the Småland waters. With its willow fences and winding roads, the island has many nature experiences. Several of the island's public trails were renovated in 2013 and provide rich opportunities for cycling and walking. The island is divided into two by a very low-lying dammed area, the Basin, which is partly below sea level. From the west side of the island you can see the Great Belt Bridge pylons, 53 kilometers away. From the northern tip you can see the old Storstrømsbro, 30 kilometers away. The island has its own doctor, grocery store at the harbor, blacksmith, inn and course center.

Femø has two towns: Nørreby and Sønderby. The many old houses and a jumble of small paths are one of the island's distinctive features. The two towns are star-exchanged, and the many living arrow fences in the boundaries along the fields are characteristic of Femø. In the past, fruit growing together with agriculture was an important occupation on the island, but today agriculture is by far the most important occupation. The main crops are cereals, rapeseed, maize and sugar beet seeds. In addition, there is some viticulture.

Femø is known for the annual women's camp, which has been held on the island since 1971, and for Femø Jazz Festival, which first ran off the stack in 1970 and is held every year in early August. In addition, there is a cottage area, called the subdivision, on the east side of the island.

At the harbor is the small grocery store Havnehøkeren.

There is a ferry connection to Femø from Kragenæs on Lolland. The trip takes 50 minutes.

In addition, there is a runway for small aircraft, next to Femø Kro.

The Port of Femø is frequently used by yachtsmen during the summer.



Finds from the Stone Age and Bronze Age show that the island has been inhabited since ancient times.

Before the church was built, one had to sail to Fejø to go to church. In the 16th century, Femø Church was built, and Femø became an independent parish in 1527. The island suffered from looting in connection with various wars in the 17th century, and after a Swedish war in 1660, the Femø residents had to get help from Nykøbing and Stubbekøbing to avoid massive famine.

In 1901, the island had over 708 inhabitants. By 2019, that number had dropped to 119. The island's school closed in 1998.

After the renovation of the harbor (2005-2006), the sailors will find toilet, washing and kitchen facilities in a newly built building. The piers have been renewed and can last for many years to come.