Fjerritslev is a former station town in Han Herred with 3,376
inhabitants (2020), located in Kollerup Parish. The town belongs to
Jammerbugt Municipality and is located in the North Jutland Region.
Fjerritslev is located 16 kilometers west of Brovst and 42
kilometers east of Thisted.
In Fjerritslev you will find i.a. shops, church, library, local museum and cinema. Furthermore, Fjerritslev Gymnasium is located in the city. In addition to these sights, there is a short distance from Fjerritslev to both the Skagerrak and the Limfjord.
Fjerritslev was mentioned in 1552 under the name
Fierittzløff, and probably originated as a village in the Middle
In 1682, Fjerritslev had 20 farms and 14 houses with land, a total of 416.1 tdr. Of land cultivated land owed to 69.18 tdr. Hartkorn; it was then Kollerup parish's largest village. The form of cultivation was pasture without roofs.
In the 1830s, the country road from Nørresundby to Thisted was built, and thus the development of the place was initiated: Kollerup kro was moved here, a post office was established, and the town became a hub for the stagecoach routes Nørresundby-Thisted and Fjerritslev-Aggersund. Around 1875, the place had a post office, telegraph station, steam distillery and inn. In 1887 a school was established, in 1888 a cooperative dairy.
At the turn of the century, the town had a boys 'and girls' school, secondary school, county hospital (built 1893-94, 18 beds), pharmacy (established in 1824 in Kettrup moved to the town in 1898), district veterinary residence, Fjerritslev Bank (established 1899), mission house (built 1896) , inn, holding house, iron foundry and machine factory, wool spinning mill, brickworks, grocery stores, etc., marketplace (3 markets, in March, July and October), railway and telegraph station, post office and session place for lays 542-53.
In 1897, the private railway Nørresundby-Fjerritslev was opened, continued to Thisted in 1904. This further stimulated urban development: the city got a bank in 1898, secondary school in 1905, branch church in 1907, courthouse in 1909 and new hospital in 1922. At the same time, the city's business grew: in 1924 it included an iron foundry, machine factory, cement foundry, a chemical factory (Astra), in addition to a large number of businessmen, craftsmen, service providers. In the interwar period, the development continued with schools, mission house 1935, cooperative pig slaughterhouse 1932. In 1930, the distribution of the inhabitants by industry was calculated as follows: 181 lived by agriculture etc., 480 by industry and crafts, 238 by trade and turnover, 128 by transport etc., 119 by services, 178 by housework, 163 were out of business, 15 had not given up subsistence.