Frederikssund

 

 

Frederikssund is a station town in North Zealand with 16,337 inhabitants (2020), located by Roskilde Fjord. The city is located in Frederikssund Municipality and belongs to the Capital Region. In 1652, Frederikssund was named after the sitting king, Frederik III, and later received market town rights in 1810. Frederikssund was previously a charging station for Slangerup.

The city is known for the annual Viking Play, which is a large outdoor theater, as well as J.F. Willumsens museum. Connected to Hornsherred via Crown Princess Mary's Bridge and Crown Prince Frederiks Bro, inaugurated in 2019 and 1935. S-train to Copenhagen from 1989. Until the municipal reform of 2007, the city was part of Frederiksborg County.

 

History

Frederikssund was formerly a charging station for the market town Slangerup and arose when Frederik II on 14 May 1578 gave the citizens of this town, which according to legend must have been connected to the Isefjord through the cove and later the stream past Græse Mølle, a connection that had gradually become clogged, freedom to stockpile their goods on the hill at Udesundby or, as the place was called, Sundby Ferry. The place was used a lot by Frederik II, as he let a large part of the materials used in the construction of Frederiksborg Castle lead to Sundby Færge, from where they were then taken care of by the farmers. Later, the city is said to have been called Falkenberg, but where this name comes from is not known.

Under the dictatorship
The name Frederikssund must have originated from the time of Frederik III, when the town gained customs and town rights in 1665, and it gradually began to compete with its mother town, Slangerup. Under Christian VI, the town was transferred to Udesundby church in 1744 instead of Slangerup church as before. In 1809, Slangerup, under whose mayor Frederikssund had hitherto stood, was abolished as a separate market town municipality, and Frederikssund got its own mayor. From a few hundred inhabitants at the beginning of the 19th century it grew steadily, it received a considerable expansion at the union with Udesundby, and the construction of the bridge to Horns Herred the same year, the improvement of the harbor and finally the construction of a railway have all contributed to its rise.

The early industrialization
By Act of 12 April 1867, the majority of the village Udesundby (500 to 600 inhabitants) was placed under Frederikssund market town (the boundaries were set by the Ministry of the Interior by decree of 3 August 1867). The rest of Udesundby Parish in Lynge-Frederiksborg Herred, the so-called "Udesundby Rural District", belonged in terms of poverty and schooling under Frederikssund, to whose church the inhabitants still applied, but had in other municipal affairs its own district council.

In 1868, instead of the former ferry connection between Horns Herred and Frederikssund, a pontoon bridge was built over Roskilde Fjord, Crown Prince Frederik's Bridge, opened on 3 June 1868.

The Frederikssund line was opened on 17 June 1879.

The port underwent several changes and improvements in the second half of the 19th century.

Frederikssund's population was increasing in the late 1800s and early 1900s: 612 in 1850, 679 in 1855, 763 in 1860, 1,306 in 1870, 1,506 in 1880, 1,828 in 1890, 2,302 in 1901, 2,425 in 1906 and 2,514 in 1911.

Around the middle of the 19th century, Frederikssund had 9 spirits distilleries and 2 tanneries. In 1869 the town had of factories and industrial facilities: 4 distilleries, 2 tanneries, 1 garment factory with wool spinning, dyeing and stamping. Around the turn of the century, the town of factories and industrial plants had 1 wool spinning mill, 1 sawmill, 1 cooperative pig slaughterhouse, 1 mineral water factory. The town had 2 hotels and several inns.

By trade, the population in 1890 was divided into the following groups: 659 lived on handicrafts and industry, 515 on trade and turnover, 293 on intangible activities, 90 were farmers, 35 fishermen, 11 seafarers, 4 gardeners, 104 lived on other occupations, 82 of their funds, 29 enjoyed alms, and 6 provided for in prison. According to a 1906 census, the population was 2,425, of which 197 subsisted on intangible activities, 104 on agriculture, forestry and dairy farming, 37 on fishing, 1,127 on crafts and industry, 547 on trade and more, 209 on transport, 88 were retired people, 64 lived by public support and 52 by other or unspecified business.