Haderslev is a town in eastern Southern Jutland with 22,101 inhabitants (2020), located 37 km south of Kolding and 26 km north of Aabenraa. The city's name comes from King Hader.


Haderslev Municipality
Haderslev was a market town until the municipal reform in 1970, when the city became the municipal seat in Haderslev Municipality (Sønderjyllands Amt), which in addition to the market town consisted of all parish municipalities in Haderslev Herred (Haderslev County). With the structural reform in 2007, it was expanded with Gram Municipality and Vojens Municipality to the current Haderslev Municipality in the Region of Southern Denmark.

Parishes and churches
The middle and easternmost part of the city belongs to Haderslev Vor Frue Domsogn with Haderslev Cathedral, which is the episcopal see of Haderslev Diocese. The western part of the town belongs to Gammel Haderslev Parish with Sct. Severin Church.

The city is located in Southern Jutland's longest tunnel valley. East of the city is Haderslev Fjord, and west of the city is Haderslev Dam.

Haderslev arose in the 12th century on a sandbank in the innermost part of the fjord. It is mentioned by Saxo in the early 13th century. Around 1254, a Dominican convent was established, and in 1292, the city was granted city court. Archaeological excavations at Møllestrømmen have revealed that the town originated in the middle of the 12th century. On the north side of Møllestrømmen, there has been a small marketplace, which has since developed into a regular market town. Haderslev arose where the distance between Ribe and the Baltic Sea was shortest. Here, merchants from Ribe could meet with merchants from the Baltic countries and exchange goods.

In the "German time", ie. in the period 1864-1920, a number of railway lines were built which were collectively called Haderslev County Railways.

Dam disaster
The town experienced a catastrophe, the Catastrophe at Haderslev Dam, on July 8, 1959, when the tour boat Turisten burned down and 57 people died. On the 50th anniversary in 2009, a memorial stone was unveiled in the steam park.