Herning is located in Central Jutland and is the capital of Herning Municipality. The city is the fourth largest in the Central Jutland Region and has 50,332 inhabitants (2020) incl. Tjørring, Snejbjerg, Birk, Hammerum, Gjellerup and Lind, which via industrial districts have grown together with the market town itself.
The name comes from the older Hørningh (horn, ie protruding hill, and the suffix -ing).
Herregården Herningsholm was built in 1579 by the old army road from Jelling to Holstebro.
Under the dictatorship
In 1682, the village of Herning consisted of 9 farms. The total cultivated area was 215.7 acres of land owed to 30.78 acres of hart grain. The cultivation method was pasture farming without roofs.
The cultivation of the heath in the early 1800s led to increasing populations and Herning developed as a trading center for the area. In 1827, the then newly appointed sheriff had a new courthouse built a few km east of the village. When he could not agree with the farmers in Gjelleruplund on a plot, it was built by a field road by the farm Laulund. In 1832, a pharmacist settled next to the courthouse. In 1839 the inn Christiansminde was built, and in 1841 a doctor settled on the site. In the following years, several craftsmen also settled in Herning, and the field road became Herninggade. When the country road between Ringkøbing and Silkeborg was built through the sparse buildings in the 1840s and a new main road from Holstebro over Herning to Vejle was built - the part to Holstebro in 1858 and to Vejle in 1864, the village grew further.
In 1840 Herning had 21 inhabitants, in 1860 101 inhabitants, in 1870 246 inhabitants, in 1880 1,064 inhabitants. In 1855 the town had a courthouse, a doctor's residence, a pharmacy, a post office, an inn, a school and merchants. In 1870 the town had a courthouse, district doctor's residence, pharmacy, post office and telegraph station, school, bank, a book printing, windmill, public library, savings bank, wool spinning mill, 2 inns, nursery, several merchants, veterinarian and "a Crowd of Craftsmen".
The early industrialization
The sparsely populated and poor heaths in Central and Western Jutland had a long tradition of wool production. Farmers and shepherds knitted socks and other woolen clothes which were resold by wandering trousers. The inhabitants are also called woolly Jews, today more jokingly. Handicraft developed into an extensive textile industry in Herning, Ikast and Brande. In 1876 a steam-powered wool spinning mill was built, which in 1896 became a garment factory. In 1877 after, Herning became the terminus for the railway from Skanderborg-Silkeborg. In the last decades of the 19th century, a rapid development of the city took place: in 1887-89, the Romanesque medieval church was demolished and replaced by the current Herning Church. Several buildings from the period are Hotel Eyde from 1893, Herning Courthouse from the same year and Missionshuset Bethania from 1898.