Høng is a station town in Northwest Zealand with 4,269
inhabitants (2020), located 13 km north of Slagelse and 26 km south
of Kalundborg. The city belongs to Kalundborg Municipality and is
located in Region Zealand.
Høng belongs to Finderup Parish. Finderup Church is located in the village of Finderup southeast of Høng, 1 km from the city limits.
The name "Høng" is composed of 2 syllables: -ho, which
means "high", and -inge, which means "home of the inhabitants".
"Høng" thus means "the high place". It is not known when the first
humans settled in the area, but around the year 500 AD. cities with
the suffix "-inge" were founded.
In 1872 the town was described as follows: "Høng, in which Thingsted for Løve Herred, and Gaarden Odinsgaard, where Herredsfogden lives, also Landbohøiskole (inaugurated 5th November 1866), Skole, Kro and Veirmølle (in Byen also a Pogeskole)". The measuring table magazine from the 19th century uses the spelling Hønge, and the small building to the southeast, where the agricultural school was later built, is called Lille Hønge. Lille Høng still exists as the name of that district.
In 1898, the town was described as follows: "Høng with School, Folkehøjskole (founded 1864 in Sæby, moved 1866 to Høng), Orphanage (founded 1891), Courthouse and Detention Center for Løve Herred (founded 1838; Place for 8 Detainees) , Kro, Mølle, Andelsmejeri ("Kildebrønd", a little outside the town) and many businesses; it will be a hub for the Slagelse-Værslev line and the Ruds-Vedby line, whose one end point it is; Herredsfogden lives on Odinsgaard ".
Høng Station was built on the Slagelse-Værslev line, which was inaugurated in 1898. Høng became a railway hub in 1901, when the Høng-Tølløse line was opened. Passenger traffic was stopped between Høng and Værslev in 1971, but between Høng and Slagelse the track was taken over by the Høng-Tølløse line, so that a continuous line Tølløse-Høng-Slagelse (Tølløsebanen) was created. Between Høng and Gørlev, freight traffic continued until 1994. Vestsjællands Veterantog, which has approx. 50 members and depot in Høng, now runs on this stretch.
Høng has first and foremost become known at home and abroad for the Høng cheeses, which were produced at Høng Camembertfabrik for many years. The Copenhagen dairyman and cheese wholesaler Rasmus Hansen bought a small dairy in Høng in 1920 and experimented with a mold culture for camembert. The company gradually acquired dairies in i.a. Holeby, Glumsø, Skovvang near Ringsted, Borup and Nørre Vium near Videbæk. The range was expanded with blue cheese and brie, and a packaging factory in Slagelse produced the characteristic chip boxes for camembert.
In 1960, Høng A / S became a royal court supplier. In 1970, the company was bought by Mejeriselskabet Danmark, which in 2000 was part of Arla Foods. Production no longer takes place in Høng, but "Høng" is one of the world's largest blue cheese brands. The 5 varieties of Høng cheeses are exported to over 60 countries.
Høng Folkehøjskole was built in 1866 after living
in a rented living room in Sæby 5 km north of Høng for the first two
years. In 1925, the folk high school was taken over by De
Samvirkende Sjællandske Husmandsforeninger, which transformed it
into a homestead school. Due to declining student numbers, it was
supplemented with a continuation school in 1954, and from 1963 there
was only continuation school. Høng Continuation School is still
located at Tranevej 15 and has its morning meetings in the folk high
school's old lecture hall.
When Høng got a railway in three directions around 1900 and thus became a good place to place schools, the folk high school took the initiative for a number of other educational institutions, which still make Høng an important school town.
Høng Private School was established in 1898. It is still located on Hovedgaden 47 and has approx. 220 students, divided into 10 grade levels.
Høng Realskole was started at the folk high school in 1904 and in 1913 supplemented with a student course, which from the beginning was a boarding school. In 1920, the student course got its own premises on Hovedgaden 2 in the former Høng Afholdshotel, whose theater hall still functions as a meeting room. The current classrooms were built in 1968-72. In 1969, the HF course was established, and in 1981, the 2-year student course became a 3-year high school. Høng Gymnasium and HF is still a boarding school with approx. 230 students, of which almost 70 live in the boarding department.
In 1988, Høng Gymnasium's Continuation School was established, so that the city had two continuation schools for a number of years. But on 1 January 2007, the upper secondary school and the after-school center were separated, and on 1 August 2008, the after-school center moved to the former Hindholm Seminarium at Fuglebjerg and changed its name to Hindholm Continuation School. It went bankrupt in 2012 due to too few students.
Høng Agricultural School was started in 1903 by Rasmus Jensen, who had been a teacher at the folk high school. It merged with Sydsjællands Landbrugsskole in 2001 and with Lyngby Landbrugsskole in 2005. The merged schools were named Landbrugsskolen Sjælland and from 2007 belonged to Roskilde Technical School. The agricultural educations were gathered at the department in Høng, Finderupvej 8.
Høng Business School at Kulbyvej 9 is a residential institution with a social pedagogical offer for late developed young people aged 15-22 years. The school can also offer a 3-year Specially Organized Youth Education (STU), i.a. an Agricultural STU in collaboration with the agricultural school and a local equestrian center.