Korsør

 

Korsør is a town on the far western corner of Southwest Zealand by the waters of the Great Belt. The city has 14,608 inhabitants (2020) and is located in Slagelse Municipality in Region Zealand.

The town is divided into 2 districts, Sydbyen which is south of the harbor and the north - and Halsskov which is north of the north. Halsskov housed in its northernmost district (until the Great Belt Bridge was completed in 1998) a large ferry port for the car ferries to Knudshoved, in the southernmost part of the district closest to Sydbyen was the terminus on the railway line Copenhagen - Korsør. From here the railway ferries departed for Nyborg. The station and the ferry port were closed in 1997 and replaced by a newer station north of Halsskov in connection with the opening of the railway section of the Great Belt Link.

People who live in or come from Korsør are called Corsorans or Corsøians, formerly also Crucisorans (from Lat. Crux, cross). People who live on the Halsskov side are sometimes called "neckskovits".

 

History
Of which the first part of the name comes is not known (the cross in the town's coat of arms from 1608 is of course formed after the name; in the oldest city coat of arms, from 1519, stands the City Church). The place has undoubtedly very early had significance as a crossing point to Funen. Svend Grathe must have built a castle at Korsør, but it is not good to decide whether this means Tårnborg Castle or a castle right by the town, and in later accounts it is also often uncertain what is meant when Korsør Castle is mentioned. , thus when it is reported that during the Count's Feud it was taken over by some scaly citizens. Perhaps the actual Korsør Castle, which has been located on the site of the later lake battery, only emerged when Tårnborg Castle had lost its significance, whether there has even been a smaller fortification at the entrance to the harbor. Of the castle's chiefs are known Mr. Erik Barnumsen 1364, Jørgen (Jens?) Rud 1369—70, Claus Holste 1376, Oluf Pant († 1397), Mr. Oluf Nielsen 1409, Anders Skytte 1415, Iver Jensen Dyre 1439, Mr. Oluf Lunge 1464, Mr. Henrik Meinstrup 1471—96, Stig Griis 1497, Erik Hardenberg 1499, Oluf Hansen 1505, Mourids Jepsen Sparre 1512—16, Mr. Henrik Gøye 1516—23, etc. However, the castle has never played any major role or been further heavily fortified.

Nor has the city, despite its good location, ever been of great importance. In 1288 it was plundered by Marsh Stig and his party. Some of the privileges granted by Erik Menved at Tårnborg Castle are mentioned, but the town's oldest market town privileges, by which it also received "Fægang paa Sprogø," are shown given in 1425 by Erik of Pomerania; they are often later confirmed and expanded, among others by Christoffer af Bavaria 1445 (it was in Korsør that the Council of the Kingdom of Denmark issued the letter on 28 October 1438, whereby it convened Christoffer as king).

The Renaissance
The city was given new privileges in 1558, when the city was granted the same city law, city law and privileges as Roskilde and Kalundborg as well as the right to let horses and cattle go on "Halffskoug", and in 1648, when the citizens had complained about the damage that Skibsholms An important source of income for the town was the ferry service to Nyborg, but it also had its disadvantages for the citizens, as they often had to bear expenses without compensation when the court had to cross the Belt, so in 1578 they were ordered to furnish stables for 400 horses. and have forage for them for the use of the king, and in 1644 the town received a severe rebuke, because the ferrymen had said that they would rather burn their boats than transfer the king's people and messengers.Most probably the town has felt the pressure under war conditions when it had to procure troops and materiel over, such as during the Karl Gustav wars 1658-60, when Korsør also suffered particularly during accommodation and taxation.The Swedes landed here unhindered on 7 August 1658, and they kept the castle occupied throughout the war and strengthened the fortifications so that the fortress is even said to have been built by the Swedes; in addition, they demolished some of the town's houses near the castle and built a new fortification inside the noret on "Lilleø", which is now dammed. It is known that Karl Gustav stood at Korsør Castle and saw the defeat of his troops at Nyborg, and the "welcome words" with which he received Stenbock. After 1660 the fortress has been neglected, and in 1764 it was sold with the exception of the tower and some warehouses.

Under the dictatorship
In 1661, Korsør, together with Copenhagen, became a stack town, which "alone must use foreign trade", and in 1664 it was ordered that the ports at Skibsholm, Våsen, Gedehuset, Bisserup and Basnæs Fjord should be closed as harmful to Korsør.

The city had only 826 inhabitants in 1672, and both at that time and throughout the 18th century, there were many complaints about its poverty. In 1769 it had 1,280 inhabitants. The town, like the other towns, probably suffered from fires, although there is only a report of a major fire in July 1557, when a journeyman with the sheriff at Nyborg Castle set fire to the town, so that it burned on 10-11 farms near.

The early industrialization
In the 19th century, the city grew significantly, especially after the railway was built and the importance of the port increased. In August-October 1857, Korsør suffered greatly from the cholera epidemic, which abducted more than 200 people.

 

In 1855, Korsør had: 1 shipyard, 3 beer breweries, 2 distilleries, 1 brickworks, 1 lime distillery, 4 windmill mills and 1 tobacco factory. In 1872, Korsør had: 1 shipbuilding, 1 coke distillery, 1 fertilizer factory with sulfuric acid factory, 1 gasworks, 3 beer breweries, 2 brickworks, 1 lime distillery, 2 windmill mills and 1 tobacco factory. Of factories and industrial plants, the town had around the turn of the century: 2 white beer breweries, 1 small steam carpentry, 1 steam coop, 1 smaller shipbuilding with sawmill, 1 boat building with sawmill, 2 book printing houses, all in the old town; on the Halskov side lay a high-lying petroleum tank for 10,000 barrels of petroleum with a pump line from the bulwark and with a bottling plant, 1 iron foundry with a machine workshop, and 1 brickworks with a sludge plant (40-50 men) and a wind turbine; immediately south of the city was a nursery with a large rose farm, as well as 2 wind turbines and a roofing felt factory.

In Korsør there is "Dampskibsselskabet Korsør" (joint stock company, established June 1, 1889).

In Korsør, 2 newspapers were published: "Korsør Avis" and "Korsør Adresseavis".

Korsør's population was increasing in the late 1800s and early 1900s: 1,819 in 1850, 2,236 in 1855, 2,957 in 1860, 3,759 in 1870, 3,954 in 1880, 4,685 in 1890, 6,054 in 1901, 7,064 in 1906 and 8,065 in 1911.

By industry in 1890 the population was divided into the following groups, comprising both dependents and dependents: 898 lived by intangible activity, 1,229 by trade and industry, 558 by trade and turnover, 191 by agriculture, 45 by horticulture, 608 by shipping, 184 by fishing, while 805 were distributed to other occupations, 105 lived on their means, 59 enjoyed alms, and 3 were in prison. With regard to trade, it is noted that Korsør was a very important port of import for West Zealand, just as there was a large export of agricultural products to Germany over it, but otherwise trade was poor as the city had almost no catchment area. Industry and crafts were not significant either. By contrast, shipping and fishing occupied a prominent place. According to a 1906 census, the population was 7,064, of which 346 were engaged in intangible activities, 248 in agriculture, forestry and dairy farming, 253 in fishing, 2,328 in handicrafts and industry, 818 in trade and more, 2,546 in transport, 238 were retired people, 195 lived by public support and 92 by other or unspecified business.